PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable speeds?

imported_kgb
05-01-2003, 09:00 AM
What speeds do you all use for polish and wax? I currently use speed 6 for polish and speed speed 3.5 for wax.

Spilchy
05-01-2003, 09:13 AM
I use 3.5 - 4 for both polish and wax.

I`m curious to know what others use as well AND why they choose that particular speed. This would make an interesting thread.

Accumulator
05-01-2003, 10:42 AM
I use 3.5-4 for wax. For polishes, I`ll start at 4, but once I get it going I usually turn it up to 6. More speed=more polishing in less time. I want to make sure I really work the polish so any abrasive-diminishing is sure to take place and I spend enough time on the polishing step as it is.

Could someone (who can find :o their PC manual) please look up its speed range? I`m curious what it REALLY is. FWIW, the speed of my single-speed Cyclo is listed as 2800-3200 (!) depending on load and it doesn`t seem to bog down NEARLY as much as a PC.

2001civicex - As I recall, you`re using the speeds Griot`s recommends.

CharlesW
05-01-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Could someone (who can find :o their PC manual) please look up its speed range?

#! = 2500 OPM

#6 = 6000 OPM

Note that they list "OPM", orbits per minute, and not RPM.

Charles

Accumulator
05-01-2003, 03:11 PM
CharlesW- Thanks for the info, and yeah, ORBITS, not REVOLUTIONS (although the Cyclo manual says "rpm"). I`m assuming that for the purposes of our discussion the two are interchangeable and I`m GUESSING that the Cyclo figure applies to EACH of its two pads.

Interesting, as the Cyclo is considered by some to be "too fast" compared to the PC. With its two heads you I suppose you`d get about the same number of "passes" per minute (5600-6400) as the single-headed PC at a high setting, but that`s REALLY assuming that I`m interpreting the (sorta sparse) Cyclo info correctly :nixweiss

ANYHOW, sorry, I didn`t mean to Cyclo-hijack the thread.

marvin salud
05-01-2003, 04:14 PM
I always use 6 for any polishing, although for wax I usually use 2-3.

2wheelsx2
05-01-2003, 04:26 PM
I used to always start polishing at 4, work the product in, and then go to 6. Now I realize that it`s just a waste of time, so I go straight to 6. The PC generates very little heat, so even with 6, I have to work the product pretty hard to do any significant swirl removal.

I never wax with the PC. By the time I switch pads, run the cord around, etc., I can have the wax put on by hand already. The only advantage with using the PC is that it`s easy to get really thin coats, but I am getting much better at getting really thin coats by hand, so have no desire to use the PC.

hondaguy2582
05-01-2003, 05:01 PM
you only wax with the pc if its a huge a vehicle and you just want to apply it on and let it haze. Now, i prefer doing this by hand, but i just tried klasse aio with the pc today, it does make a difference applying it by machine.