PDA

View Full Version : Review: Mothers HotWheels Premium Wax

cerdas
04-30-2003, 10:03 PM
http://home.grandecom.net/~rwilsher/pictures/Mothers_HotWheels.jpg

I had a chance to try this new Mother`s product for the first time this last weekend. I have a friend who just last week bought a new silver 350Z for himself and a new black 9-3 for his wife, and he wanted an easy to use, store-bought, 1-step product to keep his cars looking good. It looks like I made the right choice.

I began with a Dawn wash, to make the surface good and squeaky clean, and in the process clayed (using Clay Magic) where I thought it necessary. His water must be very hard because the water spots were AWFUL. If it had been my cars I would have made a once-over with some distilled vinegar, but he wasn`t interested in being that obsessive. I proceeded to use a Pinnacle foam applicator that I rinsed with water and thoroughly wrung out. The HotWheels wax went on very easy...not Zaino easy, but close. It became obvious that this product was supposed to go on very thin, and could be done so easily. It had only a light chemical smell, not really obvious unless you were sniffing the bottle. It seemed to have a mild cleaning ability, and if I really worked it back and forth with light pressure, it cleaned up most of the hard water spots.

It was in the mid-seventies in the garage, somewhat humid, and the wax still dried very quickly. There was maybe 10 minutes of waiting time before it could be removed. After every panel I would rinse out the applicator as a precaution, and it rinsed out very cleanly and easily. I could see where I had put it on too thick, but thankfully, using some PakShak MF`s it wiped right off with almost no effort or dust! It left a very reflective shine, but did not seem to hide the swirl marks much at all.

Obviously I have no idea how durable it is yet. I know that they will do almost no maintainace without my help, so I will get a better idea of it`s durabilty next time I help them.

Pros: Very easy on and off, dries fast, a little goes a long way. Oh, and it comes with a free HotWheels car!

Cons:No swirl hiding, stains trim, ummm....doesn`t smell good?

For a store-bought wax, I really liked it!

The results:

http://home.grandecom.net/~rwilsher/pictures/Saab9-3.jpg

Scottwax
04-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Looks like it gives a nice shine for a 1 step product...and a free Hot Wheel!

NY KID
04-30-2003, 11:28 PM
No shots of the waxed hotwheels! Can`t beat the shine of a black car. Looks great!

2wheelsx2
05-01-2003, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the review and the pic. I think I will be recommending this for my friends who only want to do a one step every few months.:xyxthumbs

cerdas
05-01-2003, 10:36 AM
I forgot to mention that the product claims to be a part-synthetic, so I`m hoping it will survive a little longer than the average cleaner wax in the Texas sun.

I`ll be using this stuff from now on on my wife`s Civic (my product evaluation platform...). Previously I had been trying out Zymol Cleaner wax (Zurtle) on it. I like it, especially the smell, but it`s a little too hard to get it completely off. I`m still sticking to Zaino for the Escape pod.

I sold the HotWheels on Ebay. They`re nice, but I didn`t really want them. I figured I could recoup some of the cost of trying a new product.

hopsgt500
05-07-2003, 09:52 AM
thanks for the review. I bought it just for the HOTWHEELS car. I think that there is 3 different HOTWHEELS out there in this packaging.

bcwang
05-08-2003, 03:18 AM
actually 4 different cars.

Corey Bit Spank
05-14-2003, 01:46 PM
What makes it different from other Mothers cleaner-wax? Just that it`s part synthetic?

forrest@mothers
05-14-2003, 02:53 PM
It`s a hybrid product - like a mixture of our Reflections synthetic and Natural Formula (no cleaners) carnauba wax.

Ease of removal of a synthetic, hard slick finish of a carnauba.