PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, I don`t think I can help this customer

Scottwax
04-30-2003, 05:41 PM
I got a call from a guy wanting his black 1989 Mercedes 190E buffed out. I told him I would have to see the car to give him an accurate price and that is when he told me what happened.

He drives a cement mixer and apparently, they use an acid wash to remove the cement from the trucks, and one of the drivers moved his truck around to the employee parking area and used the acid (diluted) on a windy day. You got it, the paint job on all the horizontal surfaces is acid etched. Pretty deep, too. Using Clearkote`s Blue Moose (a pretty strong compound) and Meguiars DACP made no real difference, even though I was getting a lot of black on the towels. The acid etching is just too deep for buffing, so I told him he needed to get an estimate from a body shop to wet sand it out-definitely one that will use a paint thickness meter to make sure that there will still be adequate paint thickness to wet sand all the acid etching out.

The guy told me he doubted his company would pay for that, and that in the spot I worked, the paint had the best shine it he had seen on it since he bought the car, and to go ahead and write him up an estimate, which I did for a $135-165 range. He thinks that is all his company will approve for the damage. I told him that he would have to agree that he will be satisfied in writing that not all the acid etching cannot be removed by buffing before I start on the car and that his company would also have to approve that for me to do the work. I don`t want to get into a situation where I do the work, then he complains or his boss complains that some of the etching is still there and refuse to pay me. Honestly, I think his company should pay for proper wet sanding and do this guy right, but I also know how they will try and cheap out and try to pay as little as possible.

I really don`t even know if I want to take on this job if his boss approves it, because there is no way I can get out all the acid etching. It will have a blinding shine when I get done, but it will also make the problem possibly even more apparent.

:hm

Thomasfl
04-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Scott, sounds like it`s about time to break down and get a PC, not that it is going to solve this, but save you some time and frustration. Remember that most people are not obsessive as us with their cars. Based on his comment about the shine being better than when he bought it he probably won`t even know the difference if it is perfect.

Scottwax
04-30-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by thomasfl

Scott, sounds like it`s about time to break down and get a PC, not that it is going to solve this, but same you some time and frustration. Remember that most people are not obsessive as us with their cars. Based on his comment about the shine being better than when he bought it he probably won`t even know the difference if it is perfect.

I`m probably going to get a PC, but mostly for scratches since a PC will take them out faster.

He was disappointed the etching won`t come out without serious work and expense because he just doesn`t think his company will spring for it. He said if they will pay me to buff it out, at least it will be shiny even though the etching won`t come out.

huggybear
04-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Hmm i think the company should pay to have the whole panel redone. They should have better control over where the cement trucks are washed especially since they use such a strong solution to wash them.

huggybear
04-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Using Clearkote`s Blue Moose (a pretty strong compound)

what is Blue Moose? (besides a strong compound.....)

Scottwax
04-30-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Calestus

Hmm i think the company should pay to have the whole panel redone. They should have better control over where the cement trucks are washed especially since they use such a strong solution to wash them.

Honestly, if there isn`t enough paint to safely wet sand then buff, they should repaint the car.

The employee who washed out his truck wasn`t supposed to clean it where he did...just too lazy to take it to the right area.

Blue Moose is a new Clearkote product I am testing. It is a pretty strong compound that seems to cut pretty fast. Mr. Glass is still playing around with the exact formula though, so it might be a little while before he sells it. Seems to be as strong as Meguiars Diamond Cut.

imported_Intel486
04-30-2003, 06:38 PM
I agree they should pay for it to be fixed.

I know a guy here who had a tree fall across the bed of his truck during a wind storm in his work`s parking lot. They paid for a new bed and a complete repaint of the truck!

bunker
04-30-2003, 06:43 PM
I can side with your hesitation to accept the work. Sounds like gross negligence on the part of the driver AND the company. I would encourage the owner of the vehicle to pursue legal action. It`s amazing what a company will do to stay out of court.

That being said (sorry I got off track a little) I agree with your title statement "I don`t think I can help this cusomer"

IMHO

good luck

ps. if you take the job, you know you better take pictures. ha!

Thomasfl
04-30-2003, 06:54 PM
scott did you inquire about detailing any of the cement mixers, seems like a logical step after forklifts.

Spilchy
04-30-2003, 08:00 PM
My brother who is a painiting contractor was doing work for the county government. He was spraying a fence with a serious paint mixture to adhere to iron. Needless to say the overspray sailed down the block and covered a fleet of county government owned cars! He was careful to make sure they were moved but the wind really picked up and made a mess! :scared

He struck a deal and did the work for free and the money went to clean the cars! Was better than reporting an incident like that to his insurance company!

imported_Greg
04-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Is Mr. Glass going to have any products that is between blue and vanilla? Like strawberry or something? Diamond cut v. glaze. I would like some middle ground.

Scottwax
04-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Greg

Is Mr. Glass going to have any products that is between blue and vanilla? Like strawberry or something? Diamond cut v. glaze. I would like some middle ground.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that to him when I met him this past Sunday at the Pate Swap Meet at Texas Motor Speedway. I don`t know what else he might have planned for surface care. In any event, I can follow Blue Moose with DACP (which I did on a section of the trunk lid of the Benz), and the two work well together. No marring, no scratches, etc.

I do know Everett is thinking about repackaging an upholstry/carpet cleaner as a Clearkote product. I am testing it now and the stuff flat works. If he decides not to carry it, I definitely want to know who makes it so I can buy it from them.

thomasfl-I think I will pass on cement mixers. :scared

imported_Greg
05-01-2003, 09:28 AM
That`s scary that you need to follow up with DACP on a benz. DACP is about as abrasive as I go, partially because I`ve never really come across anything that requires more.

Scottwax
05-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Greg

That`s scary that you need to follow up with DACP on a benz. DACP is about as abrasive as I go, partially because I`ve never really come across anything that requires more.

This one is non clearcoated, so no danger of going through the clearcoat. This car has a lot of paint on it, because at the bottom of the acid etching, there is still paint....just not sure how much.