PDA

View Full Version : JAGIN photos

Pages : [1] 2

chris0626
04-30-2003, 04:21 PM
At last ... as promised ... some pix from the Jaguar Concours in Indianapolis last weekend.

First, a story that only Autopians will truly appreciate. We were late leaving home, so we arrived at the luxurious Red Roof Inn about 1:30 a.m. The parking spaces near the room were busy, and I wanted the coupe far from any doors and dings. So I spotted a large dumpster far away, and parked next to it. Here`s a photo of it the next day. Why should this be noteworthy? Because the next morning I got up at 6 to do final prep for the show, and construction workers were up on the 2nd-story walkway, flinging drywall, plumbing, and furniture into the dumpster. :scared Anybody want to guess how many nanoseconds it took me to move the coupe out of harm`s way???

Brad B
04-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Ha!:D

chris0626
04-30-2003, 04:28 PM
With that bit of drama out of the way, we did the final prep, relying on S&W instead of a full wash/dry. Took Brad`s advice, and didn`t try to do much more than QD and some Plexus on the few plastic parts I could find. Made it to the venue safe and sound. We were directed to our parking space, next to three series I XJ6s.

chris0626
04-30-2003, 04:45 PM
[You sure are quick on the draw, Brad! Can you tell I`m doing this report in sections? Heck! Serialization worked well enough for Charles Dickens. ;) ]

Did final work onsite. Another QD, tire dressing, and some sneaky engine bay tricks (courtesy of GDJags), and that was about it. "Rags-down" was at 12. So, while waiting for the judges to arrive, I strolled around to check out the action.

While I was on the ground detailing the lower sills, I happened to notice this:

chris0626
04-30-2003, 04:47 PM
So I had to go check out the cats. These XKEs are just gorgeous.

chris0626
04-30-2003, 04:50 PM
The red one being judged. See the guy at left with khaki jacket and white gloves? He`s the owner. I don`t think I`ll ever get to the day where I detail in white gloves. :cool:

chris0626
04-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Eventually the judges worked their way around to me. Yikes! It`s scary to have so many people checking out the engine bay. :eek:

chris0626
04-30-2003, 05:07 PM
A Mark IX (I think) from the early `60s. Brad can confirm model and year.

(A `65 Mark IX...great car!.......Brad)

chris0626
04-30-2003, 05:16 PM
Concours judging covers authenticity/originality, condition, and cleanliness. (Brad has explained that elsewhere, better than I can.) Two judges came back to me, having noted a couple of non-authentic items, so I had to sign and acknowledge it. I wasn`t very disappointed. :rolleyes:

TurboCat
04-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Great photos, Lynn!

chris0626
04-30-2003, 05:43 PM
Don`t know what our score was. They don`t tell you the score; the scoresheets get mailed to you after the fact. But we did score high enough to earn the "1st in class."

After a nice dinner and -- for the first time in 3 weeks -- 8 whole hours of sleep, the trip home began Sunday morning. That`s when the trials began, ending in this little scene about 200 miles from home (due to mechanical problems -- not an accident, thank goodness!).

Paintxpert
04-30-2003, 07:26 PM
That 2nd to last pic is hilarious :D

I love that the little child looks to be trying his hardest to provide some moral support :xyxthumbs

Its nice to see a car of that age in such great condition :) If you dont mind me saying so - when the bonnet was up, it looked almost 60`s Mustang-esque (which is also a beautiful car) ;)

Accumulator
04-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Lynn- Thanks for posting the pics and for your great commentary. I`m sure glad the dumpster drama was uneventful!

Acura_RL
04-30-2003, 10:12 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but do the tire treads come into play at all in the judging? I mean it would seem foolish if it were the case.

chris0626
05-01-2003, 08:23 AM
Acura_RL: Cleanliness of the treads doesn`t seem to get judged. But, obviously, I could (and should) have done a little better job with them.