PDA

View Full Version : Help with aggressive wheel cleaners

BamaJedi
04-30-2003, 03:17 PM
I`m planning a full detail in a week or two. I`ve invested in a TON of stuff to do it right. I am planning on using A2Z wheel cleaner then follow up with soap/water and maybe some Zaino. My question is this: Will an aggressive cleaner like A2Z cause problems to my sticky weights? I don`t want to get my wheels balanced again :)

meGrimlock
04-30-2003, 04:04 PM
I haven`t had any problems with A2Z on my sticky weights. You would need an air chisel to remove those things. Well, not really, but the wheel cleaner shouldn`t cause you any problems with them.

CRXSi90
04-30-2003, 07:31 PM
You got it wrong, he has STICK ON wheel weights, like I do. hammer on ones mess up your wheels, that is why I only have the pound-ons on the backs of my rims.

I can`t help you much on your question, but I`m planning on getting my wheels cleaned up really good, then you should be able to use just soap and water to clean them. I regretably used Armor all wheel cleaner which is very acidic, used simple green, and Harley-Davidson wheel + tire cleaner, and my wheel weights are still hanging on. I haven`t had them there for too long, though. I guess I`d just go for the chemical if you need it...sorry I can`t help more. Maybe contact the manufacturer of the product you want to use.

Spilchy
04-30-2003, 07:50 PM
I can`t stress enough the wonders of EFHI used full strength if you want aggressiveness while protecting the finish of your wheels.

I have posted numerous times the 1:1 of EFHI and water for general wheel cleaning. I have sticky weights and have had no problems.

Buy it by the gallon and double it by mixing with water.

It`s one of my favorite all around products next to AIO used on moldings, wheels and glass.

Acura_RL
04-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Eagle One changed the formula for A2Z and it`s much better now--less acidic. I wouldn`t be worried. I used it already and it did a great job. Just be sure to wear some safety glasses when you agitate the stains with the brush.

shaf
04-30-2003, 10:24 PM
No matter what wheel cleaner or all-purpose cleaner you use, make sure you follow instructions and don`t use them on hot wheels or let them start to dry out. That will probably be very bad news no matter what product you use. FWIW, I`ve tried a bunch of retail wheel cleaners people don`t bother with here (for good reason :o), and none of them has ever caused problems for me.

imported_BretFraz
05-01-2003, 09:55 AM
I`ve used Eagle One wheel cleaners since 1980 and have never had a problem with wheel weights. If A2Z scares you, use something else that doesn`t.