PDA

View Full Version : Rain-X

imported_edschwab1
04-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Can rain-X or Rain-X antifog be used on eyeglass lenes? If not, what can be used on eyeglass lenes to prevnt fogging during athletic activity (while playing hockey)?

Eric

P.S.: Mods if this is the wrong forum please move thread.

raymond_ho2002
04-29-2003, 03:49 PM
I know nothing about glasses since I dont wear any, but I had thought that they usually had some sort of plastic coating to reduce glare.. If this is the case, i would be worried about rainx hazing the plastic.

imported_Dude
04-29-2003, 04:26 PM
Rain-X anti-fog is an uttterly worthless product, so I would not bother applying it to your glasses; it won`t work anyway. It pains me to say this, because I am a huge Rain-X fan. The anti-fog product is terrible, though, no two ways about it.

I don`t know whether the conventional Rain-X can be applied to glasses. You might want to try it first on an older pair if you have one lying around.

I`d be worried about streaking; Rain-X is a fantastic product, but it does streak a little. Note that the streaking is not the same thing as the initial hazing. The initial hazing, which clouds up your windshield and upsets a lot of first-time Rain-X users, can be washed off. The subsequent streaking happens every time you use your wiper blades, and I have never found a solution for it.

Lowejackson
04-29-2003, 04:33 PM
I agree with Dude, the anti-fog is a waste of money.

Steven

Jngrbrdman
04-29-2003, 04:36 PM
They actually make stuff like that special for glasses. They have some kind of anti fog stuff that keeps them from fogging up when you come in from the cold and stuff like that. I`ve been using it since I was just a kid. Ask any eyeglass shop and they can probably sell it to you. I doubt you will ever be going fast enough to need RainX on your glasses but the anti fog stuff would help you. Not the FogX stuff though. That stuff is crap. I tried using it on everything I could think of including my glasses. It didn`t work on anything. I use it to start my barbeque now. lol j/k

The"X"
04-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Go to a paintball supply shop and look for a product called Cat Crap (not kidding). Its the best antifog for lenses I have found.

imported_edschwab1
04-30-2003, 02:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. It will be fun calling around for cat crap.

Eric

shep01
04-30-2003, 10:23 AM
yes, that`s right, crest is a great anti-fog product - we use it for our dive masks` with great success - i use it on my glasses when i race in foul weather, glasses under the helmet fog up rapidly and this works for me

Lemonxxs
04-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by shep01

yes, that`s right, crest is a great anti-fog product - we use it for our dive masks` with great success - i use it on my glasses when i race in foul weather, glasses under the helmet fog up rapidly and this works for me

HOw do you use it?

Which crest? not the abrasive one I hope.....

I always used SPIT for my diving masks...............is that out of style now?

imported_Dude
04-30-2003, 01:28 PM
A lot of toothpastes have abrasives in them, so be careful.

Cat Crap is good stuff. You can find it online here (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=608). Maybe this will save you the embarrasment of calling! :)

Acura_RL
04-30-2003, 05:54 PM
shaving cream.

rasx
04-30-2003, 06:09 PM
can Cat Crap be used on glass?? If so, I`d buy it for the interior of my windshield.

godofthunder
04-30-2003, 06:45 PM
I used to use both toothpaste, and more often spit when diving too, and this is only a few years ago in Boy Scouts!!

Id love to see someone go after a cat and scoop something up trying to see if that works...haha

jon

The"X"
05-01-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by rasx

can Cat Crap be used on glass?? If so, I`d buy it for the interior of my windshield.

I use it on my glass lenses. The trouble is it only comes in 1/2oz containers, it might take a whole one to do a windshield.

TurboCat
05-01-2003, 07:23 PM
You can also find Cat Crap at wilderness outfitter stores, and stores that sell sport sunglasses (like RayBans and Oakleys).