PDA

View Full Version : Take your medicine!

psmith21
04-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Hi all,

I don`t post here often but I check in often for tricks and tips to keep my `02 Tundra looking good.

Anyway. After a brutal winter here in MA I took a really good look at my truck this weekend. The Klasse did a good job of keeping the paint clean. However, my rims are in terrible condition. I used the search function to try to find some solutions to get them clean but it doesn`t look good. I used some sonus wheel gel to start. That did nothing. I tried using an acidic cleaner ( I know, BAD) but that didn`t work either. When I clayed the wheels I got most of the gunk off but what should I use to get them completely clean? By "take your medicine" I knew I should have used the Klasse on the wheels but the winter started so early I never got a chance. I`d like to get them clean so I can really take care of them. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Pete

JasonC8301
04-29-2003, 02:00 PM
What kind of rims are they? clear coated? polished? If its clear coated try a medium polish on them (3M FI II) or if they are polished, try some metal polish (I prefer Blue Magic.)

Dave N
04-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Did you try some Eagle1 A2Z? I used this on my Tacoma rims (which may be the same as your Tundra`s, if they`re OEM) and it did a great job of cleaning the winter gunk off. I used a kitchen scrubbing sponge (the kind with the honeycomb weave) to help clean them off. Of course A2Z is an acidic cleaner, so I only use it 1-2 times per year. Also, did you try AIO to clean your wheels?

psmith21
04-29-2003, 03:00 PM
Did the scrubber pad scratch your rims? THat was my biggest concern. Also I thought the new A to Z was not acidic.

My wheels are OEM. 16"

I haven`t tried the AIO. I was going to use it when I got them spotless.

Dave N
04-29-2003, 03:41 PM
No, the scrubber didn`t scratch my rims any that I can notice. The one I used had a fabric honeycomb scrubbing surface, and is the same thing they sell as a bug removing sponge. The Toyota 5-spoke rims have a slightly pebbled surface, so scatches would be hard to see anyway. Just don`t use anything more abrasive than the bug cleaning pad.

Klasse AIO also has cleaning properties, so it may remove the dirt. You may want to try this first since it would be far less harsh on your rims than A2Z and a scrubber.

As for the A2Z, someone said in the review section that it is now alkaline (opposite of acidic). I know the formula changed recently, so maybe it is alkaline. Either way, it`s a very strong cleaner and shouldn`t be used too often. It will strip off any protective sealant that you put on your wheels.

gocona
04-29-2003, 03:45 PM
someone said in the review section that it is now alkaline

yep the new formula is alkaline ...