PDA

View Full Version : TireRack Wheel Wax - Any Good?

MBZ 500E
04-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Well I did a search and only found one thread that referenced this product. Has anyone tried this product and how does it hold up to the excessive heat produced by the brakes?

Since I`m running out of Zaino I`m wondering if this is a better alternative.

2wheelsx2
04-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I think you`re right, it was discussed only once here, and the opinion was pretty negative. I haven`t used it, but I can`t imagine any true wax being able to hold up to the heat generated on the road, on the wheels. I would suggest that if you are looking for a cheap alternative that is not as harsh as say, NuFinish or Liquid Glass, that you try Meguiar`s #20. Has cleaners, but is pretty mild. Seems to hold up well on the wheels I have put it on, which is pretty much every car I detail. Lately, I have switched to using AIO on some wheels, just to see if there is a difference, and so far, I have found no difference, so I am going back to #20 because it is cheaper than AIO.

Spilchy
04-28-2003, 07:19 PM
I used Wheel Wax for the first time yesterday and I think it is fantastic.

First, it is in a screw top jar, very pudding-like consistency and smells like pineapple.

I washed my stock alloy 17" wheels first with P21s, dried and then applied the wax. It went on fine, dried to a haze and buffed off with minimal effort leaving behind no residue.

It cleaned up some little sticky bits of grit on the wheel, removed some minor spider web-like swirls and left a wonderful shine and slickness. It made my wheels pop with such a shine that I don`t think was there when new! I had a haze-like look on my wheels that completely evaporated after application. The wheels look wet. Around dusk last night, when the last bits of the sun shined on them, they looked awesome! I mean really awesome. I stood in the parking lot and stared for a few minutes!! (sorry fellas, no pics). In fact, when my dad saw my car, the first words were, "The rims look great! What did you do!"

I topped off with EF Clear Pearl for extra shine and protection.

It should last a while since there is a fair amount of it in the jar - a year if not longer. You just have to shake it well before using to mix up the wax.

I`ll check back regarding durability. But, I am going to wash wheels with Gold Class and water mixture in a spray bottle until I feel I need to reapply the wax.

I`d buy it if you`re placing an order for supplies. Try it! It`s like $13; not too bad! You could use AIO, #20, BF or another wax, but it was fun to use this and the results were great. In fact, check out CMA`s website and read what Terry said about it - I mean he devoted a whole page to it! Or check out Wheel wax`s web site.

58fury
05-07-2003, 07:16 PM
im very curious to try this on my rims?? i currently apply #20 and find it works great, i wash my rims with reg soap (GC) and water no problems, but i have some black marks, very tiny, but still visable? my rims are only 1 year old, and these spots are only on 2 of them, the rears from last summer, ive tried everything to remove them, but nothing seems to work:nixweiss, think ill order some wheel wax just out of curiousity, and hope it works

huggybear
05-07-2003, 07:27 PM
Now remember kids curiosity killed the rims. HeHe i use AIO/SG but have been wanting to try Wheel Wax.

MBZ 500E
05-07-2003, 07:28 PM
4DR Turbo,

I`m not sure the wax will remove any blemishes or embedded dirt on the wheels.

What have you tried using? Did you try claying the wheels? What is the finish on the wheels.

58fury
05-07-2003, 07:41 PM
yes ive tried claying, no luck? these tiny black marks i cant feel at all with my fingernail, ive also tried SMR, and believe it or not a bit of varsol on a cloth, i just dabed it, thinking if it were paint, anyways nothing has yet to work, maybe ill try claying again??

and oh ya my rims are alloys with a clearcoat finish, Mille Miglia Evo`s 17x8

Re-Lax
05-08-2003, 09:08 AM
I wasn`t too thrilled with Whell Wax. The product was great to work with and smelled nice. I even think the shine it left was good too. The problem was spots that were left on my rims after water had dried. After a rain my rims whould have nice big white spots. I cleaned and reapplied and the had the same problem. Never had that problem with AIO.

Green Monster
05-08-2003, 09:30 AM
http://store4.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1736_1236741

I have used Wheel Wax and like it. I also used #20 before too.

I think its easier to apply and buff off than #20. Leaves the surface slick and shinny. Not sure which last longer? But that doesn`t matter to me because I wax my wheels at least once a month. They both seem to clean the same. Brake dust wipes right off with no scrubbing.

I also use AIO & SG before (alot more work and time) but for only on the inside which doesn`t get cleaned that offen and I wanted the protection.

CMA sells it and is on sale for $13.95

Wheel Wax at CMA (http://www.properautocare.com/wheelwax.html)

AMP01
05-08-2003, 11:31 AM
MBZ 500E,

I have not used Wheel Wax so I can`t comment.

I do use AIO as a base and then 4-5 layers of PUPP every month or two. So far, for me, this is the best combo ever. My Wheels always look good and keeping them clean has been much easier! :D

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/2805souveran_on_black_under_lights-med.jpg

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

Bass
05-08-2003, 08:00 PM
i had (still have) a bunch of brake dusk specs in my clear coated s2k rims and wheel wax didn`t do anything to clean them up :( best i could do is use a can of brake cleaner on each rim but there`s is still specs.. gonna try some macguyers` aggresive clay

on my new rims - I`ve coated them with ten coats of z5..

Thomasfl
05-08-2003, 09:17 PM
I use the AIO UPP combo on my wheels and it definitely pops and is easy to clean.