PDA

View Full Version : Detailing in a small garage...HELP!!

imported_kgb
04-28-2003, 08:02 AM
Ok, here is my deal. I have a small garage, 20` wide X 16`deep with one car garage door, and I want to start detailing cars out of it. The garage has insulation and plywood walls that I did last summer. Along with 3 flourescent light fixtures. I figure my first start will be to clean it really good to make even more room. Oh, and also paint the walls white to help with the lighting. What else would you guys suggest I do to make detailing in the small garage easier? I can not afford to rent a bigger garage or ad on to this one or else I would love to :D

Thanks!

paco
04-28-2003, 08:42 AM
I`m in the same boat, here`s what I hope to add in the next little while:

1. Rolling Cart that`s height adjustable

2. A rolling stool with tray (help with back fatigue!).

3. Water Spout (with cold and hot water) and maybe a sink.

4. Wall mounted cabinets like RedCarGuys

5. Cheap Receiver + MP3 player to listen to music/radio

6. Jack Stands (for wheel removal and to clean out fender wells).

Surely there must be more but I can`t seem to think of them this early Monday morning.... Man I hate Monday`s!

imported_Luster
04-28-2003, 08:44 AM
I also painted my walls white........WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

You might want to consider either some portable flourescents that you can move to your work area or some wall-mounted flourescents for good side lighting on darker vehicles.

imported_kgb
04-28-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys! I have some portable halogens but they get too hot and I sweat to death! I am goign to print all fo your suggestions out when I get home and start tackling this project.

imported_Luster
04-28-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by 2001civicex

... I have some portable halogens but they get too hot and I sweat to death!

One thing I forgot.......

I have a TORNADO fan in the garage.........a LIFE-SAVER!

imported_kgb
04-28-2003, 09:07 AM
What is a tornado fan? I will need something int he summer to keep things cool.

MBZ 500E
04-28-2003, 09:09 AM
The only other thing I would add to the already great suggestions above is a couple of door savers. This will prevent that unfortunate mishap when your cleaning your interior.

Post some before/after pics in the Garage Forum.:xyxthumbs

imported_kgb
04-28-2003, 09:14 AM
oh man! I am sorry guys, I did not realize there was a garage forum or I would of posted i there. Yeah, door savers are a must cause it is a tight squeeze on the passenger side.

imported_Luster
04-28-2003, 09:16 AM
My fault....VORNADO!

http://store6.yimg.com/I/rewilliams_1735_58223

imported_kgb
04-28-2003, 09:17 AM
is that thing big or just a regulr fan? and links to a site? thanks man!

imported_Luster
04-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 2001civicex

is that thing big or just a regulr fan? and links to a site? thanks man!

It`s pretty small actually. It puts out an incredible amount of air which you can direct in a stream right at your head if you like. And it doesn`t take up much space.

I leave my garage door open and set the fan in the doorway, it pulls in the cool outside air and exhausts the hot air from the garage.

No web links. I got mine at Wal-Mart. Ace Hardware also has them.

Accumulator
04-28-2003, 10:19 AM
2001civicex - As Luster said, definitely paint the walls white and look into some more flourescent lights. I don`t see swirls under them too well, but they stay cool and you have your halogens for swirl-spotting. Flourescents on the walls don`t take up any room and a flourescent "trouble light" can be handy for the lower areas that are always in shadow (the rubber armor means you won`t bust it as easily).

I got a VERY cheap rolling cart (not height-adjustable) and yeah, it`s handy. BUT consider how much of your (limited) space it will take up and don`t buy something that`s too big. I got by for decades without one, using other means (buckets, boxes). It WOULD cost maybe about 1/2 as much as a weight bench :p

Take MBZ 500E`s advice on the wall-mounted door protectors! The ones at

California Car Cover (www.calcarcover.com) cost between $10-35 and are well worth it.

imported_kgb
04-28-2003, 10:23 AM
hehe, oh yeah, a weight bench ;) Hopefully I can detail enoguh cars to pay for one soon! I have to spread the word that I am doing this. Once my new polishing pads come in this week I already have a job to get a light scratch out of a guys 2003 Ram I work with. :D