PDA

View Full Version : Paint problems

trlyka
04-27-2003, 06:34 PM
I have a Dark Blue `99 Passat with a little over 100k on it. I am the second owner and I got it last June.

Let me preface by saying I LOVE my car :bow but the paint needs help.

I washed and hand waxed my car today. It`s about the 4th hand wax/polish since I had it. It could of used a cleaner first, but it would be too much for me to do in one day :o I used Liquid Crystal which is a similar to Liquid Glass for it`s easy on/off application. I plan on having my car detailed by a professional shop soon, but I wanted to put something on it in the meantime.

As I was waxing........First I noticed that what I thought was chipped paint, turned out to be white paint spots. All over the front bumper and hood. Where the spots came from, I don`t know. I didn`t feel like spending an hour with Tar and Bug remover. Is there an easier way to get the paint spots off without hurting the clearcoat? I didn`t try letting the tar remover soak on the spots, but rather I rubbed hoping they would come off sooner rather then later.

Also, there are a few spots where the clearcoat is peeling and it concerns me. I found one spot by the back window and another below the strip on the drivers side. Each is a few inches long. I also noticed the strip across the front bumper has peeling paint. I can see the plastic of the strip.

Can a good detailing shop get off the paint spots and cover up chipped paint on the hood even if there is a little rust where the chip is? What about the peeling clearcoat. I want to see about having it touched up, or maybe I need to have he car repainted?

Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to pay for a paint job without stripping it down? More like just fix the chips and scratches and re-clear coat it.

TIA :)

Scottwax
04-27-2003, 06:54 PM
You can use detailing clay for the spots, but if the clearcoat is peeling in spots on a 4 year old car. second owner or not, VW owes you a new paint job.

trlyka
04-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Do you really think I could get a new paint job on a car with over 100k on it? Have you heard of anyone getting it done before? I guess I could contact the dealer and at least ask.

I never even thought it would be covered. I`ll look into it.

Thanks

:wavey