PDA

View Full Version : Little things that make abig dif.

samiam513
04-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Yesterday I detailed a 2000 Ford Lightning which will be entered in a show today (which I could not attend) and a big show next sat. I have allready done the show detail, minus a few things I will be doing fri. night before the show (dress wheel wells ect..)

What are some of the little things at a show which make a big differance? Like seats all aligned or somthin?

here`s a shot down teh side of the truck.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1863corey_side.jpg

loancoach
04-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Well I`m no show expert (havent attended any at all) but I have read on here that seats should be aligned, seat belts buckled and straight, all vents line up the same. Also think of where you would never stick your fingers and make sure that is clean. Also I have read wheel wells and inside of tires and rims should be clean and dressed.

Onehole
04-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Well I do Concours events (Porsche Club) and the focus on these events is preparation and cleanliness. Its not a matter of "the little things make a big difference".........THEY ARE THE DIFFERENCE.

Its not abstract things like seats aligned either, but rather did the judge find grease on the seat rails? If they find dirt, grease, dust, lint etc,ANY WHERE, in the judged areas, its a deduction.

The big difference between a Concours event and a lot of car shows is that at a car show folks spend hours adding the 8th and 9th coat of wax to get that extra great shine, where as at a Porsche Concours event I am for example checking for the third time that the pedals are detailed.

The day of the event is where a concours event is won and loss...just getting the car to the event gets it dirty and puts dust in strange places. I have a 43 page checklist I use the day of the event to make sure I cover everything....below is an example page.

imported_Greg
04-27-2003, 09:55 PM
I`ll paypal you $5 for that checklist. I`m impressed.

huggybear
04-27-2003, 11:45 PM
hmm i might be intrested in that check list as well....

Scottwax
04-27-2003, 11:49 PM
The judges will find dirt in the weirdest places. In addition to the license plate areas (make sure you remove the plate and clean under them), clean as deep into the door jams as possible, including the hinges and the very bottom of the door, inside the glovebox, the headliner (you`d be suprised how many people forget the headliner), the gas cap area, etc.

You also might want to consider the next time the tires are balanced, remove tires and have them clocked so the valve stem is exactly 180 degrees from the middle of the name of the tire.

Redmax
04-29-2003, 04:06 PM
I would like a copy of the checklist!!!!my first show is this saturday