PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Wheels-What do to...

jimmybuffit
04-26-2003, 09:06 PM
(EDIT: Chevy lists these as Aluminum Alloy wheels. They are still very dirty, and I still don`t know the MOST efficient method.)

This is a great ride! I did a complete detail, with a sealant and Dent Removal 2weeks ago. He`s back today for wash, wax, engine compartment...

So, he`s getting new tires Monday...

He`ll be back in next Saturday to have me pull the wheels for a REAL cleaning.

What to use? Remember, these wheels are 8-9 years old. I`ve got lots of wheel cleaners, but I don`t need no stinkin` acid on chrome.

(The pic shows how clean they are - outside. The insides are not so pretty!)

So, whaddya think? What should I use?

BTW, I`m aware of how to protect the wheels once they are clean...I just need help getting them clean!

Jim

imported_Greg
04-26-2003, 10:59 PM
I`d just use soap and water.

imported_Intel486
04-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Pull them and just keep doing repeated cleanings on the inside with your wheel cleaner until they are clean. Spray it on, let it dwell, and scrub off. Keep repeating until they are really clean. They can have light stains as those will probably be removed when you polish the wheel.

Is the only wheel cleaner you have an acid cleaner?

Might want to pick up a Non-Acid cleaner if you can.

NY KID
05-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Hi guys, new to the board and wanted to know what do you plan on doing the chrome wheels with polish/wax wise?

imported_edschwab1
05-01-2003, 04:41 AM
The OEM wheels are polished (but not highly polished) and cleared. The rims above apeared to have chromed dipped at some point or are aftermarket.

To clean use the mildest wheel cleaner you have and do multiple applications until clean.

Eric

imported_Luster
05-01-2003, 07:54 AM
If the wheels are:

1. Polished & clear-coated........soap and water

2. Polished non-clear-coated......soap and water, then Mother`s Aluminum Polish

3. Chromed...............................soap and water

Now that they are clean, top coat with a good wax or sealant.....they`ll really shine.

jimmybuffit
05-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input...

I`ve still got another full day for responses...HELP!

Scottwax
05-01-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Greg

I`d just use soap and water.

Same.