PDA

View Full Version : ClearKote Redux

Gadfly
04-26-2003, 05:27 PM
After Mr. Glass so graciously sent replacements for the VM and MW I could not resist trying the products again. This time with much lowered expectations of success. I was wrong - again.:o

VM looked and felt much the same as before. This time, though, I spent a little more time with a terry applicator on a couple of trouble spots - minor scratches and "spider-webbing." I was pleased to see a marked reduction in the defects, but I wasn`t particularly impressed with the "slickness." I`m a little more critical of results now.

The MW was a different matter. The product was four days in transit from Texas and there was zero separation! The color and consistency seem the same, but it stays mixed.

The product was applied to a panel at a time with a foam applicator and buffed off with a MF towel. MW seemed a little "grabby" when first touched with the MF. The finish got slicker as a buffed a longer time with a clean towel.

I must admit that my black Santa Fe looked very nice when finished. I had three coats of S100 on the car before the application of ClearKote stuff. I would venture that the appearance of the VM/MW conbination looked as good and maybe even a little "deeper" than S100. Again, this was with skeptical eyes.

Of course it rained as soon as I was finished and I had to drive 15 miles to a fund-raiser in Annapolis. Strange behavior in the wet. Initially it seemed to bead with nice tiny, tight beads. After a short while (maybe 10 minutes) the hood started to sheet. Almost like it had no protection at all.

The car dried with more than a couple of water spots and a "grabby" feel to the surface. A going over with Spray and Wipe and QS made the paint even slicker that just after application.

In sum, the car looks nice, but the behavior of MW in the wet leaves me puzzeled. Also the fact that the product does not separate and that it feels "grabby" when you first start to remove it after application, leads me to think that the product was reformulated - or maybe this is what it is supposed to be like and my first bottle was a fluke.

imported_jgv
04-26-2003, 05:48 PM
For me, it still beads as much as EX and UPP. Couldn`t tell a difference between them after 2 days of rain.

Scottwax
04-26-2003, 11:16 PM
I`ve noticed the last two bottles of Moose Wax I`ve bought have stayed mixed. I haven`t had any beading/sheeting problems, but I have noticed at times when there has been a lot of pollen in the air, no matter what wax I use, when I first go to wash my car, it barely beads, but once the sap, pollen and dirt are gone, it beads right up again.

imported_RIC
04-27-2003, 07:51 AM
Since QEW contains wax, after washing with it, your car will bead.

Scottwax
04-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by RIC

Since QEW contains wax, after washing with it, your car will bead.

In my case, it has been getting the copious amounts of pollen and sap off my car. It is even worse when it rains just a little bit.

The only paint QEW won`t bead on is paint that is completely devoid of wax, but if there is any wax on the paint, it will bead better once you wash it with QEW.