PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy clay bars?

ShishCoBob
04-26-2003, 01:22 PM
I`ve searched and haven`t found an answer. I`ve been looking to pick up a clay bar locally so I can detail my car tomorrow. So far I`ve only found a kit that also comes with wax,polish and all that stuff. This was at pepboys. I`ve been looking other places but have yet to see just a clay bar by itself. Is there some simple place that I don`t expect that carries them like walmart or some other place?

ShishCoBob
04-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Alright I`ll have to look harder at walmart. I didn`t see any last time. If not I`ll have to go find the autozone around here.

shaf
04-26-2003, 02:28 PM
ejant, I think Bob is looking for clay all by itself, which is harder to find. I think you`ll have to mail order it or get the Autopia clay, or ask Auto Magic for a local dealer.

Nothing wrong with the stuff that comes with the Mothers kit though. :)

ShishCoBob
04-26-2003, 02:30 PM
If I can`t find anything I`ll just get the kit anyway. It`s only $17.

Bobby G
04-26-2003, 02:43 PM
There are two kits you should be able to find locally: Mothers and ClayMagic. Of the two, I like the Mothers kit the best.

ShishCoBob
04-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by DavidB

There are two kits you should be able to find locally: Mothers and ClayMagic. Of the two, I like the Mothers kit the best.

Big bottle of detailer and a thing of cleaner wax... and a tiny little thing of clay heh. The box tricks you. I`ll be using the clay, VM, and s100 tomorrow. I`ll be sure to take pics.

Acura_RL
04-26-2003, 09:39 PM
I just bought the Clay Magic today. The bar is really soft, so soft I`m worried that it will stick to my hand and never come off.

shaf
04-27-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by ShishCoBob

Big bottle of detailer and a thing of cleaner wax... and a tiny little thing of clay heh. The box tricks you. I`ll be using the clay, VM, and s100 tomorrow. I`ll be sure to take pics. Actually, even though it`s a bit less clay than the Clay Magic kit and Autopia kit, it should be enough. I did 3 cars with my kit last year. Clay bars don`t get into the "huge" size unless you buy the 200g CM pro bars. Don`t forget to cut the clay in half. :)

Ãœber~PhLuBB
04-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Should you fold and kneed a clay piece after each job (up to 3-4 jobs)?

ultrajim49
04-28-2003, 05:12 AM
Should you fold and kneed a clay piece after each job (up to 3-4 jobs)?

Depends on what you call a job:

I knead a claybar after claying some 2 - 3 square feet

Christiaan

spotter
04-28-2003, 07:37 AM
Wal Mart now carries the blue Clay Magic (100 g) and a bottle of lube for under $10. I used these Friday for the first time and really liked it but was surprised how soft and sticky the clay bar was compared to what I had been using. It does a great job!

hondaguy2582
04-28-2003, 01:53 PM
clay magic is easier to work with than mothers imo, it picks up a lot more of the contaminatnts on the paint with a couple passes compared to mothers where it takes more than a couple passes. Again, this is based on my experience, it probably works good for everyone else, but i do notice that clay magic is stickier, and not as easy to drop(ive dropped a piece of mothers the first day i had it, i was so ticked). Either way, you can`t go wrong with each one, but if your lucky enough, goto walmart and check the clearance section and see if they have any mothers kits on sale for 5.50.