PDA

View Full Version : What DA are you using?

Cleanmaxx Brian
04-26-2003, 08:11 AM
What DA are you using? Would you buy it again and how much was it?

I have used a rotary before on older cars but for my newer cars and trucks, I think a DA is a better choice no? Also, it is much harder to burn the paint!!

Thanks in advanced!

imported_BretFraz
04-26-2003, 09:22 AM
I think you`ll find most of us are using a variant of the Porter Cable 7424. Cost is $110-150 depending on model and supplier.

Accumulator
04-26-2003, 10:28 AM
In addition to the PC, I often use a Cyclo. I generally like the Cyclo better, as do most of my non-Autopian friends who have used both. Better for some jobs, not as good for others. For deep, complex curves and tight, sorta inaccessible areas (like under mirrors) the PC can be easier. With the Cyclo, you can`t use the edge of the pad the way you can with the PC. But yeah, I STILL like the Cyclo better. I prefer its balance and its lack of vibration (or at least DIFFERENT vibration). MUCH heavier-duty than the PC. My older Cyclo is about 20 years old, lubed maybe twice, works like new (I`ve burned out a PC in as little as 5 years). If you`re a "tool nut" who appreciates the difference between Craftsman tools (yeah, I have them, so no flames) and REALLY good ones, look into the Cyclo. Single-speed, though. As I recall, it varies from 2800-3200 depending on load; in effect, it doesn`t seem to bog down much when you really lean on it. It SEEMS quite fast, maybe because you have two heads moving at that speed. Check it out:Cyclo (http://www.cyclomfg.com/) . I`d buy from TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html)

02 LTZ
04-26-2003, 11:53 AM
I also have a Cyclo. I love it.

I would definitely buy one again.

Also bought mine from Irene at Top of the Line.

captkirk2
04-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Cyclo Users,

Have you used any of the brushes for scrubbing upholstery or carpet? Do you use for applying mainly finishing products, wax and glazes? Does it have the same oscillation pattern as the PC?

02 LTZ
04-26-2003, 02:57 PM
ShineMGood,

I use my Cyclo with the brushes to scrubb carpet & upholstery...it does a very good job of bringing the dirt to the surface.

I use the Cyclo with compounds & polishes...would rather apply the wax by hand though.

jcattarulla
04-26-2003, 03:33 PM
I got my PC from Coastal Tool on sale for about $110.

Accumulator
04-26-2003, 07:31 PM
ShineMGood - I also use the brushes on my Cyclo. As Red Truck said, they work well.

I`ve used it to apply EVERYTHING from compounds to paste waxes. The pattern seems different than the PC, but it`s hard to say, what with the two heads and all.

The Cyclo has a reputation as a "cult tool", with a somewhat rabid following. I`ve heard a few people say it caused certain products to dry out too fast, but that`s about the only complaint I`ve ever heard. I`ve had it happen a few times, but it`s nothing a spritz of QD won`t solve. The people who mentioned the "problem" STILL thought the machine was great.

Honestly, the best thing is to have both a Cyclo and a PC (and probably a rotary too, for that matter). As far as picking ONLY one, it`s gonna come down to personal preference and the specific application. The PC is better for the curves of my XJS, for instance (but I used the Cyclo on it for years...).

captkirk2
04-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback on the cyclo. I have a PC and rotary now, so the cyclo sounds like a compliment to their capabilities. Great!, something else to buy.....just needed a little justification