PDA

View Full Version : How about repairing pitted glass headlights...?

Ben Carufel
04-26-2003, 02:19 AM
I noticed the thread on polishing plastic headlight covers, but unfortunately all the headlights in my family are either plastic and covered with StonGuard or glass and pretty pitted (as on my 1989 325i and our 1992 735il).

Is there any way to increase the opacity of the pitted glass lenses with polish? I heard of someone painting on several coats of some kind of lacquer (clear obviously) to fill-in the pits (which I suppose would be intended to reduce the amount of light defraction) but didn`t give it much credibility at the time. Now I can`t find the write-up.

Do you guys have any suggestions? European Ellipsoids are $400 for the pair and I won`t be getting those on my 325i until I get HID`s. With those at $600 or so, I`m not ready to spend a grand on headlights just yet...

Lowejackson
04-26-2003, 04:12 AM
You can polish glass. Do a search on windshield polishing and it should give some good ideas. Eastwood and CMA sell kits.

Steven

Ben Carufel
04-26-2003, 03:18 PM
I was looking at the CMA website before I posted this...so I think I`ll order that kit...but I`m looking for something a little more agressive than what theirs seems to be.

So has anyone refined/changed CMA`s technique? :)

jcattarulla
04-26-2003, 03:30 PM
I have heard really good things about the Diamondite Kit, which is a 3 step process.