PDA

View Full Version : Why a clay bar

Pages : [1] 2

jay_vw
04-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Would a swirl mark remover (ie Mother`s) do about the same thing? And I`ve been told that "Every time you clay your car you are just causing really little scratches, called micro-maring"

Mindflux
04-26-2003, 12:19 AM
You *CAN* cause scratches with improper prep prior to claybarring. Otherwise all it`s doing is pulling contaminants out of your paint.

Jngrbrdman
04-26-2003, 12:28 AM
Clay isn`t going to remove swirls or anything like that. Not even close. Like Mindflux said, it pulls contaminants out of your cars surface that paint cleaners can`t do. Typically the next step after using clay is to polish your car anyway so even if it does cause scratches you are supposed to be just polishing them out anyway. Clay is pretty important stuff. I would do some research on it. You`ll be facinated at what it does.

Lowejackson
04-26-2003, 04:15 AM
Buy some good clay and you will be impressed with how smooth your paint is and just how dirty the clay becomes.

Steven

Vegas1
04-26-2003, 04:17 AM
Once you clay for the first time and feel and see the results, you`ll wonder how you ever detailed a car without it.

Acura_RL
04-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Don`t skip the clay. It`s very important, and it also makes your surface easier to polish and wax.

godofthunder
04-26-2003, 10:03 AM
Whats proper prep? just cleaning the car before hand, making sure you dont have to many loose things on it?

jon

Accumulator
04-26-2003, 10:35 AM
godofthunder- Yep, get the car as clean as you can during the wash phase. Use the correct lube (some work OK with car-wash solution, some work better with a dedicated lube). Other ideas include cutting the clay into small pieces and tossing after a few panels (as opposed to just folding/kneading) to reduce the chance of something that got pulled off marring other areas.

jay_vw - A BIG benefit to using clay (or AutoInt`s ABC) is that you can remove ferrous deposits ("rail dust") before they cause rust spots.

medic159
04-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Lowejackson

Buy some good clay and you will be impressed with how smooth your paint is and just how dirty the clay becomes.

Steven

AND just how much easier it becomes to polish and buff!

shaf
04-26-2003, 01:44 PM
godofthunder - if you have any easily visible tar/oil splatters anywhere, it`s probably a good idea to try to remove them before claying too.

Acura_RL
04-26-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

godofthunder - if you have any easily visible tar/oil splatters anywhere, it`s probably a good idea to try to remove them before claying too.

I agree with that 100%. My Mother`s clay bar was all fine before I got to the bottom door panels of my mom`s LHS. The clay bar felt like it was ruined and kneeding it would have simply hid the abrasive stains.

A separate bug and tar remover would be ideal.

godofthunder
04-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Yah, I was planning on doing that and also cutting the bar into smaller easier to handle peices too

jon

jay_vw
04-27-2003, 10:43 PM
So the idea of claying your car is to remove any paint contaminants off, while a swirl remover (or something like that) is too only remove/hide scratches swirls?

I have clayed various parts of my previous rides, never the entire car. And liked what I`d seen & felt. Guess I`ll be claying the entire body of my new GTI...

Scottwax
04-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Vegas1

Once you clay for the first time and feel and see the results, you`ll wonder how you ever detailed a car without it.

My thoughts exactly. I don`t know how I got along before detailing clay was introduced.

ultrajim49
04-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by jay_vw

So the idea of claying your car is to remove any paint contaminants off, while a swirl remover (or something like that) is too only remove/hide scratches swirls?

You got that right:xyxthumbs

Don`t be affraid to do the whole car: it can only benefit from it

Christiaan