PDA

View Full Version : im new and have some questions

ExoticAutodetail
04-25-2003, 06:32 PM
I have a 92 Black Toyota MR2 and I love it. but I have 2 main problems.

1). I have tons of tiny tiny tiny paint chips, you have to get really close to see them. A friend of mine said something about black wax covering that up. is there such a thing as " black wax "??

2). How can i keep it clean longer than 2 hours? it seems to attract dirt, filth and grime like its statically charged or something, its seriously amazing to watch how fast this car get dirty. i dont` even have to move/drive it.

Heres what I use now and since im a n00b, please go easy on me;

I use meguirs "Cleaner" first, then meguirs 26 polish, then 7 " hi tech yellow wax" then gold class to finish it off.

and the soap i use to clean it is zymol ( i keep on switching, i can`t find one i like )

any suggestions? Thanks.

Accumulator
04-25-2003, 07:11 PM
clouse- Welcome to Autopia. Don`t try "black pigmented" waxes, filling the chips with black stuff isn`t really gonna solve your problem and it`ll look, uhm, less than swell on the paint that isn`t chipped. Wait until you can get the panel repainted if it REALLY bugs you (I figure that "real cars have stone chips", but that`s just my $0.02).

Some products (and techniques) seem to attract more dust, etc. than others. Maybe try a search on "dust attraction" or something similar.

I think you got your Meg`s polish and wax numbers switched (#7 is a polish, really a glaze, actually, and #26 is a wax). And I THINK that the Gold Class wax has cleaners in it, so it might not be the best "final topper". Not sure, though, so again, maybe try a search. Could be that you`ve found a combo that has a major dust problem. That might be a good excuse to try something different, and there are a LOT of great products on the market these days. Quick possible solution, wipe the car down with a QD after washing/waxing and see if that makes things better/worse.

For wash soap, I like Griot`s Car Wash (about $30/gallon). Others like Meg`s Gold Class (about $10/gallon) or Pro`s Cherry Suds (about $10/gallon also, I think).

Magellan498
04-25-2003, 07:21 PM
:welcome to Autopia clause!

shaf
04-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Welcome to Autopia! :wavey

Your routine sounds like a good start, although I`d substitute the "cleaner" (is this their Step 1?) for #9 given the mildness of the cleaner and the age of your car. I`d also be inclined to remove Gold Class from the mix since its function doesn`t really seem to fit in anywhere. Do the search like Accumulator suggested.

For keeping your car dust free, I suggest a California Car Duster. Do a search on this too! :D It`s often abbreviated "CCD". Combine this with a QD session once in a while and you can keep it looking quite clean.