PDA

View Full Version : Indy here I come

Pages : [1] 2

chris0626
04-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Heading off to Indianapolis shortly for our first Concours of the season. And yes, BradB, I promise to bring back pix.

Do I feel ready for this show? NO! The more I do, the more I find I want to get done. And the weather`s lousy here, so I know she`s gonna have muddy paws when we arrive. Sure hope the "final-detailing" goes easily and fast!

Brad B
04-25-2003, 11:21 AM
Hey Champ, the other cats will wimper when they see you coming! (Do you wear T-shirts with your "National Trophy Cup" photographed on the front and back? And custom plates that say BESTCAT. Or a looping video of you accepting the "silver" award for 2002? I guess you are too humble for that. Besides, it would just scare everybody away. But I digress. )

Just hope it doesn`t rain on the way up. It makes the engine bay detailing a pain in the booty! Your favorite product will be the Quick Detailer and MF towel. Do a quick wash when you arrive and start quick detailing. Leave your wax at home. You should be done with that. QD everything including the glass and chrome. QD also works well on the aluminum in the engine. Use Griots Chassis in the lower engine area, back under the tranny and in the wheelwells. Position the wheels to best show off the better parts of the chrome. Did you get rid of the non-factory stickers on the glass? Be sure your hose clamps are sorted out.

Good luck!

:wavey

SamIam
04-25-2003, 11:26 AM
Lynn,

Where is the show at in Indy? I would love to see it.

Supposed to be a good weekend to be outside, mid 60`s on Saturday, mid-70s on Sunday.

Sam

chris0626
04-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Running out the door. So ... go here for details: http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22138

MBZ 500E
04-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Bradb,

I really need to talk to you, can`t believe all the little details your talking about!

What do you mean whey you say "make sure you have your hose clamps sorted out"?

Also you mention Griots Undercarriage near the bottom half of the engine, does this alter the color of any components?

I have a feeling this will be a long summer.:eek: :) :eek:

Brad B
04-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MBZ 500E

Bradb,

I really need to talk to you, can`t believe all the little details your talking about!

What do you mean whey you say "make sure you have your hose clamps sorted out"?

Also you mention Griots Undercarriage near the bottom half of the engine, does this alter the color of any components?

I have a feeling this will be a long summer.:eek: :) :eek:

In Lynn`s case, for Jaguar concours it`s critical to have Jaguar factory period-authentic parts. A replacement from AutoZone won`t do. They have to be the same style and brand of original manufacture. Hose clamps are often overlooked. Also, the engine bay looks better when the clamps are all uniform in arrangement, meaning all the clamps are positioned so the screws are in the same basic position, facing the same way. Everything looks more "orderly". Neatness and organization counts, even if its subliminally, in the minds of the judges.;)

The Griots product doesn`t change color but evens out the tone and masks dirt. It makes the dark underbelly areas look nice and black and "clean". Even silver parts will look better. Instead of having a hazy dusty look they will look solid and "matte" not uneven or pasty. Hard to describe but this stuff is great! It`s a must-have for show cars.:up

MBZ 500E
04-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Wow, I seriously have alot of work to do before I`m ready.

Thanks for the info on the Griots, that is exactly the answer I was hoping for. I have a bottle but I`m waiting to get the car as clean as possible before using it.

I have something else that works similar to the Griots called Pigspit. Does the same thing you described but it comes in aerosol. It`s as expensive as the Griots but does a great job on the top portion of the engine bay.

Thanks again for the tips!:xyxthumbs

BTW do they also have a semi modified class for Jags?

Brad B
04-25-2003, 02:28 PM

BTW do they also have a semi modified class for Jags?

Yes, they do have a modified class. It`s getting popular. :xyxthumbs

chris0626
04-28-2003, 09:39 AM
The good news: We took 1st in class in the show.

The bad news:

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/3936sunset.jpg

But doesn`t the sunset look beautiful in the Zaino?

MBZ 500E
04-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Lynn,

Congratulations, quite an achievement!

So what happened to her?

BTW can you post a pic of your engine when you have a chance, I`ve been dying to see a classic engine in pristine condition.

Brad B
04-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Ah, the price of victory. ;)

chris0626
04-28-2003, 10:37 AM

So what happened to her?

Did you click on the link? Lovely photo of her being towed off into the sunset; she only made it halfway home. :sosad

BTW can you post a pic of your engine when you have a chance, I`ve been dying to see a classic engine in pristine condition.

She definitely does not warrant the "classic engine in pristine condition" moniker. :nono What saves her is the high authenticity/originality factor. But there are still condition problems (e.g., some rust spots that will require my removing some significant engine components, and some parts need polishing or repainting). I`ll try to see if I can find a decent photo of the engine, though.

Accumulator
04-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Lynn- Congratulations, I knew you could do it! What years/models were in your class (you weren`t the only entry in "XJ coupes" were you, hee hee :p, sorry, couldn`t resist).

Sorry to see how it ended, but you WERE a bit concerned about such a thing. Do what you can to keep your mechanic from making a mess of things!

MBZ 500E
04-28-2003, 10:47 AM
Lynn,

Would still love to see a picture of the engine either way, I know you`ve put a ton of time and effort so I look forward to seeing it. My engine bay is very very far from perfect and I don`t know if I`m willing to pull the engine to get it perfect (at least not until it has to be pulled) so you`re not the only one.

Actually I was hoping for more details why she didn`t make it home.....was it minor (DIY) or is she headed to the mechanic?

chris0626
04-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Nope, MBZ500E. It wasn`t minor. (HEY! That`s a towtruck! she`s sitting on, not a coach pulled by white stallions! :lol Or ... maybe it`ll turn out to be minor, but certainly wasn`t something I could cope with in the middle of nowhere; not many Autozones carry parts for `75 cars anymore, dog-gone it. ;) In the midst of it all, I was on the cell phone with a fellow JAGSL member and Autopian [to whom I owe :bow :bow :bow ] , hoping he might have some good DIY tips, but there was nothing I felt up to. She was sputtering, like she wasn`t getting gas. Sometimes I could coax her into picking up again. But three times (in TerreHaute, just inside Ill., then finally in Effingham IL), she just gave up the ghost and coasted to a stop. The first two times, after ca. 40 minutes she would start again. Go figure! :nixweiss. But not the 3rd time, which is when we called AAA. So she was towed 90 miles, to a shop in the St. Louis area that`s respected by the local Jag crowd. Then the aforementioned friend drove over an hour to pick us up; offered his car (which I declined, given the bad car karma I was having); and took us to a car-rental place. Got home about 1:30 this morning, 14 hours after the trip started. :sosad