PDA

View Full Version : BE CAREFUL.......Threads of MF

cspoly
04-25-2003, 07:41 AM
I ordered a bunch of different MF towels which include Viper MF, Meguiars Ultimate Wipe, and some lesser known internet brands. I`m also going to try PakShak soon.

One thing I noticed which disturbed me was the tread used to stich the ends. Especially on the Megs Ultimate Wipe. First it is definately polyester with some type of undercore. Well, at the corners the binding is melted to keep it from unravelling........meanwhile MF does not unravel like cotton.

The binding on Megs towels definately scratched a CD......the MF did not. Hopefully, my sewing skills are up to the task of cutting off the binding and re-stiching them! For once I wish I had followed in my parents footsteps.......they owned and operated a business in NYC garmet district.........oh Mommy.....can you fix my MF towels PLEASE! ;)

Beware of your bindings on MF. In a way I am disappointed with the towels. I have come to expect that a product marketed in this manner should be useable right out of the box......oh they have tags as well that are a pain to get off.

Just thought I`d give you all a heads up

Later,

George

imported_Luster
04-25-2003, 08:54 AM
For that very reason, all I use on the paint is 100% cotton Fieldcrest bath towels. (ends cut off, of course)....

I use MF`s for every other cleaning task....interior, trunk, glass, plastic, rubber, wheels, etc.

Fieldcrest towels fray like crazy, but there`s little chance of scratching my blacker-than-black Grand Prix.

One series of scratches was enough to make change back to Fieldcrest!

Sorry, guys, I`m just not sold on MF`s for paint.

Poorboy
04-25-2003, 10:53 AM
I totally agree with G Farra....I also grew up with a similar background and hated the biz....now look all I missed...did get a lot of valuable shipping experience though...

Yes I agree they should be usuable immediately, no linting no rough edges, and unfortunately most real produced fabrics do come with a label, for consumer protection.

I have also noticed that many of the mf made in Korea have that melted rough corner. I found some exceptionally soft, but the stitching and corners were too rough for me to sell....I settled for some more expensive ones, but i don`t worry about lint or rough corners , and when i sell them at a show most people want to go and use them immediately with out scratching.....I always offer to cut off the label if front of them...

Mf are much better overall than cotton towels, ie Meguires after a 100 yrs. changed their recommendation to mf...but all mf is not created equal....there is still a place on my shelf for cotton towels, just not on my paint anymore. Ok I will do door jambs and engine compartment with towels(cotton)

spotter
04-25-2003, 11:57 AM
All I can say is you haven`t tried Pak Shak. No polyester, no melted corners, and no tags. Pak`s are probably cheaper for Autopians than anything else you can get as well.

imported_Intermezzo
04-25-2003, 12:57 PM
I usually cut the corners of my MF towels before using them as I have also noticed the corners forming very small melted balls of poly-material. Sometimes these melted balls fall out and get embedded in the nap of the "main" portion of the towel. Talk about a prescription for swirling up your car!!

PakShak & DF Concours towels do not have this problem however.

cspoly
04-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Yeah....my next order will be from Pakshak. I`ve hear way too many GOOD things about them ;)

George

HilfigerCelica
04-25-2003, 02:38 PM
So what MF brands do you guys like the most?

ashsarna
04-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by HilfigerCelica

So what MF brands do you guys like the most?

I am sure this has been talked on before. Do a search and you shall :bounce . I prefer Pakshak.