PDA

View Full Version : new paint and new regimen

Redmax
04-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok, I will be getting the car back on wednesdayfrom getting painted. I have a carshow on saturday and sunday. I was wondering 2 things. Is it safe to put a polish like meguiars show car glaze on the paint after its been newly painted? The paint being used is dupont automotive paint.

Im also trying to get a schedule of polishing and waxing the car. do you polish and wax it the first time and the next three times just polish thte car since the wax is protecting. or do you wax and polish the first time and wax the next few times.

imported_Dude
04-24-2003, 04:57 PM
It often isn`t safe to wax re-painted cars for a period of time after the painting -- generally 30-90 days. Ask the paint shop; they`ll tell you when it is safe.

As for the regimen, I generally clay, polish (i.e. use an abrasive product), glaze (non-abrasive oil), and wax every six months or so. Thereafter, I glaze and wax every month. Wash weekly.

You don`t want to use an abrasive polsih too often, becasue frequent use can damage your clear coat. Twice a year should be fine.