PDA

View Full Version : Daily Driver - Black - Unbeatable Battle

jsoto
04-24-2003, 10:53 AM
for those that don`t have a garage and own a black car, how *meticulos* are you on the paint finish.

I have a black BMW X5 and was planning to get rid of the dealer induced swirls using Mez. Final Polish, followed by some Glanz Wax.

The car was in for service yesterday and when I picked it up today, noticed there was bird bomb on the passenger window....Immediatly cleaned the roof but there was nothing on the passenger side. I`m assuming the service tech wanted to be nice and wiped the side for me......

Long rant, but should I just give up on getting the paint perfect knowing in time, or someones carelessness, it will just get swirled again or just plain ole micro marring will happen. I don`t have a garage so the car faces the elements every day.

Option 1

Clay

Mez. Final Polish

Glanz Wax every 3 months

or just use really non agressive products -

Option 2

Clay

Meg #9

GEPC

Meg

S100 applied montly

thevolvoguy
04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Nah dont give up, but go with the first option. It seems more suited for your situation. Get all the swirls out, use Glanz Wax and maybe even top it with S100 and you should be good for a while.

paco
04-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Option 1:

You`ll need to wax more often than every 3 months for a wax (not familiar with Glanz though).

Swirls - You may need something more powerful than the final polish to correct the problem.

Option2:

You may need something stronger than #9 first. What`s the Meg after the GEPC?

Daily Driver + Outdoor to boot,

I`d go with a sealant rather than a wax and without a wax topper to allow layering ever 3months. Zaino, Klasse, UPP etc for the durability factor would be better suited for your application.

Plus, an X5 is a large vehicle and waxing the roof etc. often may be an issue.

Hope that helps.

jsoto
04-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Glanz Wax is a sealant. Not too sure about it`s longevity though.

Correction....it`s not a daily driver but it is outdoors. Between 9-2 in the summer, the sun is directly on it. Wish I had more shade near the driveway.

imported_COEX-PILOT
04-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Black requires constant care! No if and or buts about it. I`ve owned mostly black cars and each one was the same (like I really expected it to be different?).

My Vette is kept under a cover when not driven, dusted daily with a CAL Duster, waxed as often as I can. After each drive, the wheels get cleaned (brake dust drives me nuts) and then a quick detail spray.

One thing that has helped greatly is my PC. I can wax the car just about as quickly as wiping it down now.

My Black VW suffer more. It`s kept outside and when I detail it it looks great, but with pollen, rain, dust etc it goes downhill quickly.

The price of black cars.

Spilchy
04-24-2003, 05:27 PM
I have white Honda parked outside 24x7.

My routine is:

Clay

#9 (applied by PC)

#20 (applied by PC)

Collinite #476s Super Doublecoat (applied by hand with a mist of EO Wipe n Shine)

This works great on white. The Collinite (IMHO) is one of the best toppers for outside cars. Wax twice a year with it; sometimes three times. Check them out http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm

Since you have black, check out BF PP at CMA instead of the Collinite. Top that with S100 monthly and she`ll look great!

MicroRacer
04-25-2003, 05:17 PM
My cobra is black, (see X-MAN`s pics) my last one was black, & my next one will be black. & YES it`s a B----!!........but when it`s right, IT"S TIGHT! :D It`s not a daily driver & it`s just covered not garaged. I keep it clean with several layers of a good sealant. Works for me

:cool: