PDA

View Full Version : How good are Griot`s products?

Pages : [1] 2 3

milani
04-24-2003, 08:42 AM
I received my copy of the Griot`s Garage catalog in the mail yesterday. After reading it about 3 times between last night and today, I noticed that the prices are somewhat high. For those of you who use them: Are they really worth the money? I am not going to drop all of my current products, jump on the bandwagon,and run out and get them right away. I am just curious.:confused:

chris0626
04-24-2003, 09:06 AM
I`m no expert on this, but I expect you`ll find that Griot`s -- like most of the suppliers -- has some products that are top-notch, some that don`t work so well, some that perform well but no better than less-costly ones. And of course, you`ll find that some Autopians love products that others loathe.

You might want to do a search on "Griot*" and look for evaluations of specific products. I just did it as a test; there are 814 threads. So you may want to narrow your search along the lines of "Griot* AND cleaner" or "Griot* AND wax" etc.

Vegas1
04-24-2003, 09:10 AM
What Lynn said! Some are first-class and some are overpriced.

That being said, their "Interior Cleaner" is the best I`ve ever used.

GP Infinity
04-24-2003, 10:11 AM
and have stated so much before.. but as always its buyer beware. I do believe that their service and warranty is way above everyone else`s. That is one reason I use them..

Let me separate product from utensils..

I do like their wax and polish.. however, I have switched from their wax to S100 and SEPC (for paint cleaning). I have turned others on to S100 as well. But I continue to use their polish.

Their interior cleaner is very good, in fact, my wife has stolen mine and uses it in the house all the time.

I really like using Speed Shine on all the vehicles. IMO its the best I have ever tried.

I like their sprayers and bottles.. they just work and feel right.. again a personal preference.

I use their pads on my PC as I think they work as advertised...

I did not buy my air compressor or rotary from them as they were expensive.. I tried to get them to price match but they would not budge. They did say that the items would come with a lifetime guarantee (as do all of their products), but the price difference was too much for me, so I bought elsewhere.

The wife bought me the big yellow bucket with wheels and top, the perfect sprayer, etc... for Christmas presents and I love them too.. (should be noted that they can be had cheaper but without the lifetime guarantee).

I really do like using the Boars hair brush to wash the vehicles. It covers a lot of area quickly without scratching.. however, if the vehicle is very dirty, it will miss some spots unless you are really really good at going over everything closely.

I did buy some theft resistant tire valve caps that seem to work too. (Ford Logo)

Their phones are staffed 24/7 plus you always have internet as well..

I am going to buy some of the undercarriage spray. Many here attest to it. And just bought some of their windshield washer fluid and am testing it in my wife`s car as its bug season in Tx.

These are just my impressions and opinions.. Please try different items and let us all know what you think.

Dana:cool:

dr427
04-24-2003, 10:35 AM
I have to second the sprayers. They are the best I have tried.

The products I like best that I have tried and would recommend to friends:

Leather Rejuvenator

Leather Care

Speed Shine:up

Orange Polish Pad

Red Wax Pad

Finest Sprayer

:spot

jlfrogy
04-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Way over $$$$$$.:nono :nono :nono

Accumulator
04-24-2003, 11:30 AM
I`m forcing myself NOT to go on and on about how I like Griot`s Boar`s Hair Brushes :o Take Lynn`s advice and do a search, it`ll give you a LOT of information (probably more than you want!).

Their customer service really IS great. I sent back over $300 worth of products that I either broke or didn`t end up liking/using. Some had sat on the shelf gathering dust for YEARS. They refunded my money and/or replaced the products with NO hassles.

BTW, I`ve spoken with Richard himself and he really is a nice guy who`s really into cars. I`m not going to begrudge him a profit, especially as he`s making a good (and fun) career out of his automotive hobby.

imported_kgb
04-24-2003, 11:40 AM
I LOVE them! I use their pads, micro fiber towels, polish, wax, and paint prep. Here is how my car came out.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=8665&cat=500&thumb=1

Scott301
04-24-2003, 11:41 AM
I ordered their entire line and spent some serious bucks. However, this week I sent back everything but the interior cleaner, engine cleaner, wheel cleaner, leather scent and a few spray bottles. I decided on another system.

Due to my huge return, I got an email from Steve at their company asking if everything was ok or if there was something I was unhappy with other than the products such as their company, etc. I let him know I just decided to go with something else.

I will keep using the products I listed above from them.

Brad

GP Infinity
04-24-2003, 11:54 AM
There was a post here that showed at some recent Concours event in Calif who the winners were and what wax they used..while many used Souveran, Blackfire, etc.. the winner had used GG Best of Show wax... I definitely got the impression that most were surprised by this finding...

Dana

imported_kgb
04-24-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by dboat

There was a post here that showed at some recent Concours event in Calif who the winners were and what wax they used..while many used Souveran, Blackfire, etc.. the winner had used GG Best of Show wax... I definitely got the impression that most were surprised by this finding...

Dana

I am really happy with their best of show wax too.

GP Infinity
04-24-2003, 12:06 PM
here is the link to the post on the results.. I was incorrect on one issue.. most of the other winners were using Megs products..

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18778&perpage=18&highlight=Concours&pagenumber=1

dr427
04-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by jlfrogy

Way over $$$$$$.:nono :nono :nono

I do like some of their products as stated earlier in this thread, but all in all they are over priced:(

For instance they have a tire brush they sell for $7.95 and Target Stores sell the EXACT same one for like $3-$4.

mr.thetank
04-24-2003, 12:40 PM
I would also agree with others that alot of the stuff is overpriced. But also as others have said that the "lifetime" warranty is a big plus on items that may break.

It has been a mission of mine to find as many things in griots catalog and find out the actual manufacturer and find it cheaper. There are many things that he sells are only marginally higher than sold else where and many things that I can`t find any where else.

I just purchased the Rapid reel hose cart, not from griots as I wanted blue. I also have purchased both of the fluid extractors that he sells. I haven`t really purchased detailing products, but mostly unique garage tools. Final comment, you get what you pay for. And what you get from griots is top quality and unbeatable warranty.

Cleanmaxx Brian
04-24-2003, 02:52 PM
As a Griot`s junkie:bounce I will admit you should shop for the same item for a better price. Yes, they have the BEST custmer service, and there is ALWAYS someone there if you have a problem. That is worth something in my book!!!:xyxthumbs