PDA

View Full Version : wheel wax as a topper over Zaino??

Bass
04-23-2003, 07:42 PM
my one year old s2k (clear coated) rims look awful - i tried cleaning with a sponge and brake dust cleaner and they look 80% better BUT nothing like last year..

so i bought a new set of oem rims and tires and want to prevent the brake dust staining on my new set..

plan (while online) is to add three coats of z5 two coats of z2 then top with wheel wax..

has anyone tried wheel wax as a topper?

as a side note - can i use MG APC to clean my new winter rims or should i stick with brake cleaner / clay etc??

TIA

Bass

Nick T.
04-23-2003, 08:37 PM
After doing a lot of experimenting with different wheel treatments I don’t think that you can do better than your five coats of Zaino! Yes, I’ve tried topping the Zaino with Wheel Wax and it only makes the wheels harder to clean since the wax traps the brake dust. With only the bare Zaino the brake dust wipes off easily.

A good surface prep before the Zaino will help get a smoother surface, and a smoother surface means easier cleaning. AIO is my preference for polishing before the Zaino, but GEPC or PUPP-C would be fine. Be sure to wash with Z-7 and wipe with Z-6 before applying the Zaino.

Good luck and have fun!

<CENTER>:usa</CENTER>

Bass
04-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Thxs nick looks like i`ll need to find something else to wax with my wheel wax..

Best

Steve

rstype
04-23-2003, 08:50 PM
Have you read CMA`s description of Wheelwax? It`s likely that the Z has been stripped after you "topped" with WW.

After washing my car, I inspected my sample table where I noticed Brian`s jar of Wheel Wax. I read the instructions where it said to apply to dirty wheels but, as I had already washed my car, decided to use it on my clean wheels as a protectant. I put a little Wheel Wax on a Terry Applicator Pad (listed separately below) and wiped it over the wheel. The spots immediately disappeared! I was blown away. These were the same spots that I couldn`t remove with a nylon brush and tar remover. And I didn`t rub on the Wheel Wax. I just wiped it on the surface as I would a wax. Very impressive.

It seems pretty harsh... I would do it the other way around - WW to clean the wheels, alcohol the remove the oils, and Z to protect.

Bass
04-23-2003, 09:42 PM
hey BW -

i haven`t received my wheel wax yet and i have just finshed my fouth coat of Z - I plan on following Nick`s advice for my new rims and just use Zaino.. i will try the Wheel wax on my older (1 yr old) badly soilded rims

thanks again

Steve

JPS911
04-14-2004, 05:15 PM
I had a heck of a time getting Z off my chrome rims...was that a fluke, or is Z not for chrome?