PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Silver Metallic Paint?

Pages : [1] 2

Rob Tomlin
08-12-2004, 06:30 PM
First post here. This looks like a great forum!

I am getting ready to detail my Silver `Twin Turbo `93 RX-7 in preparation of selling it (in favor of a more practical sports car, the RX-8).

I have been a long time fan of Zaino, and have plenty of it on hand that I plan on using. However, I would like to hear people opinions on what steps and products would be recommended in prep for the Zaino Z2.

The paint is in overall good condition, but it does have some light swirl marks in it.

I will clay the car first, but then what?

1) Clay
2) Cleaner/Swirl remover (opinions here please)
3) polish (opinions here as well)
4) Zaino
5) Topper (not sure I want to do this, since my experience has always been that Carnauba wax actually slightly dulls the finish compared to Zaino).

Thanks for any help you can give.

NYV6Coupe
08-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Welcome, I`m a noobie too.

I suggest Menzerna products, either Intensive Polish (IP) or Final Polish II (FPII). They can be applied by hand or with a PC but a PC will give excellent results.

I`d start with the FPII and then determine if you need something more like IP.

mtodde
08-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Sonus Clay
Sonus Paint Cleanser
Klasse AIO
Pinnacle Signature

If it is a light silver this would give you a great shine.

You can check out some pics I posted in the gallery after AIO or check out my cardomain page http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/648891 (http://)

BRUHA
08-12-2004, 07:57 PM
I was wondering the same thing about Silver Metallic cars.

I plan to use the following on my 2001 Lincoln LS:

SSR1
PP
EX

or

SSR1
PP
EX-P
Nattys

Any suggestions???

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/783714/SideSHot.JPG

Rob Tomlin
08-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Being a newbie, I am still struggling with some of these acronyms (and yes, I have found and printed the Acronym Table on this site).

Can someone tell me what "EX-P" stands for?

It seems like both Poorboys and Menzerna are popular here. Any preferences between these two?

awd330
08-12-2004, 09:38 PM
My favorite combo for silver metallic is PwC, EX-P (x2), Natty`s.

EX-P is a sealant made by Poorboy`s World. They also make a sealant with carnauba named EX (without the "-P").

Woob
08-12-2004, 09:44 PM
What I have on now: 2-3 Coats of UPP or 1AIO/1Pizazz layer. Gotta layer that carnauba more!

Rob Tomlin
08-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, keep them coming.

So, you guys that top with Carnauba don`t think it slightly "dulls" the finish left by the polymer based protectant (like Zaino etc.)?

mtodde
08-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Woob
What I have on now: 2-3 Coats of UPP or 1AIO/1Pizazz layer. Gotta layer that carnauba more!

Do you have any pics of AIO with Pizazz?

Anyone use Pizazz on top of AIO and EXP?

zesty-man
08-12-2004, 10:18 PM
maybe UPP would be good. ive heard thats its super slick, and ive also heard that its really great on silver. AIO is always a good polish. jw, do you have ZFX with the Z2?

Woob
08-12-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by mtodde
Do you have any pics of AIO with Pizazz?

Anyone use Pizazz on top of AIO and EXP?

No I don`t. Jurry is still out if I like the new look. However Weather sucks here right now so I can`t say much. I do have to say that compared to UPP, it seems the paint is more alive and the gloss feels different for sure. UPP is ultra slick, metallic paint SHINES, and its gloss is very different.

Look at Topoftheline.com`s page and you will find it there. 1 Good thing about pizazz is you get a freaking load of wax (its at least 40% bigger than the Trade Secret container)

mtodde
08-12-2004, 10:53 PM
I just ordered some EXP and bird sh*t remover & a MF kit from Poorboys...

Next month I may try the Pizzaz.

Are you using any type of QD with EXP?

awd330
08-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by mtodde
I just ordered some EXP and bird sh*t remover & a MF kit from Poorboys...

Next month I may try the Pizzaz.

Are you using any type of QD with EXP?
If I don`t have a carnauba topper, I will use a custom mix of S&W and Meg`s Final Detail as a QD spray. If I use a topper, I will periodically refresh it with QD+, but still use the S&W/FD mix for regular maintenance.

SpaceAce
08-12-2004, 11:18 PM
I did my polishing with Poorboys SSR1 and then used Zaino (Z1 then Z2). I didn`t have any major swirls so I can`t comment on what I used for swirl removal (although I have heard Z5 doens`t do much for swirls even though it is kind of geared towards that). I reallyliked the look the SSR1 gave and it was easy to use and buff. I topped my Zaino with S100 and really liked the added wetness, but it looked fine without it too.

Boss_429
08-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Use any paint cleaner/polish you want prior to the "Z". However, if the cleaners/polishes contain any oils, silicones, waxes, or other fillers, you will want to remove them before you start applying Zaino. The are some water based polishes like Poorboy`s products that do not contain oils, silicones and waxes that will inhibit the "Z" from bonding.