PDA

View Full Version : mini-review: mother`s scratch repair kit

gnahc79
04-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Eh, this isn`t a complete review or anything, just my .02 on a semi-noob`s experience:

Ok, the mother`s scratch/chip repair kit runs about $20 and is available online only (for me at least). The liquid is some kind of mild laquer thinner with a thicker consistency. The stuff is hecka strong, it`ll stink up the entire room if you don`t seal it in two sealed bags.

The stuff works okay on chips on horizontal surfaces. As for scratches on vertical surfaces...eh, so-so. The liquid did remove excess OEM touch-up paint, but made the paint super flat and removed all metal flakes (silver 01 accord). Looks like I took a grey rubber eraser to the scratch now. Probably mostly my fault with the application.

I did use laquer thinner before and it worked much much better. Strong stuff, you can easily remove ALL of the touch-up in one fell swoop. Using light pressure and taking your time I feel using laquer thinner is the better and more cost-effective option.

now I gotta find some laquer thinner. I borrowed some from a dent place last time.

imported_Tony
04-23-2003, 02:24 PM
I recommend you do a search on lacquer thinner before continuing to use it. Showroom says it will cause clear coat failure in the long term. Forrest has made comments about the kit and lacquer thinner but I dont remember contents.