PDA

View Full Version : Removing Wax From Black Plastic

Lookin4aTruck
04-23-2003, 10:40 AM
I`ve gotten some around the door handles and mirrors on my truck. I`ve tried simple green and someone also suggested rubbing alcohol but it didn`t work for me. I`ve also heard a pencil eraser or peanut butter will remove the white wax.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

NewMINICooperS
04-23-2003, 10:46 AM
for an eraser using a drafting erasor....peanut butter or peanut oil works...i`ve also heard of crisco working but never verfied it myself.

imported_Tony
04-23-2003, 10:52 AM
I dont like to recommend this but the strongest thing you can use is lacquer/paint thinner. Do not get it on your clear coat it will damage the clear coat. Put a small amount on a rag then rub off the wax residue. Then clean and dress the trim. In the future dress your trim before waxing. I avoid waxes that leave a residue. Nufinish and Meguiars gold class are two of the worst and S100 and Meguiars #26 are two that do not leave a residue.

good luck

chris0626
04-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Lookin4aTruck -- love that name! -- the search engine is your friend. By entering "wax AND residue AND plastic," I came up with several useful threads, including this one (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16848) which is almost identical to yours.

Say it slowly and often: "The search engine is my friend ..... The search engine is my friend .... The search engine ...." :p

DA53
04-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I have found Turtle Bug & Tar remover works well.

Al