PDA

View Full Version : Backing Plates and Pads

imported_buffer
04-22-2003, 09:13 PM
I need to know if there are any differences between backing plates. I have recently got my Porter Cable 7424 and need a backing plate. My understanding is that since I have a 5 inch counter weight I need a 5 inch backing plate. I have read on some posts that a 6 inch pad is fine with a 5 inch backing plate.

What pads should I be using? I have only looked at he ones at CMA. My list of process is

1) Clay (Prep, clean)

2) P21S PCL (clean)

3) AIO ( remove minor oxid. on hood)

4) Klass SG (protection)

4) Souveran (shine)

I was thinking of white pads for all and maybe a yellow one for the AIO ot remove oxid. The oxidation isn`t bad at all so maybe a white pad.

Also some say to have apply and remove Souveran. I was thinking of machining it. What are your thoughts?

Accumulator
04-23-2003, 09:35 AM
buffer- You CAN use 6" pads with the 5" backing plate and counterweight, but if you need the pad anyhow I`d just get the 6" pad and counterweight. Not really expensive and easy to change. With the pad better supported by the larger backing plate, you might get more even contact with the surface being worked. I have both and I DO prefer the 6" (it`s noticeably different).

I`d also get a yellow pad. You may very well find that you need something more aggressive than you think. BTW, if you have any swirls/scratches you`re gonna need not only the yellow pad, but also some product with more bite to remove them.

I`m all for machine application, even with paste waxes, but I doubt that it`s a good idea with Souveran UNLESS you`re working around a shoulder injury or something similar (in which case, sure, go ahead). Removing wax by machine gives me inconsistent results. Get some GOOD MF bonnets from CMA or TOL if you want to try it, but be prepared to do the final buff by hand.