PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

Accumulator
04-22-2003, 07:12 PM
I`ve been using a Gitzo G1228 mk2 (w/Arca Swiss Monoball), and for something so portable, it`s a very sweet setup. BUT, what works OK for daylight snaps with my old, lightweight Spotmatic doesn`t work so well with my wife`s (different) SLR, especially for LOOOONG exposures/slow film. Mirror lock-up helps, but we still need a more sturdy tripod. (GRRR.. considering the cost of the Gitzo). At present, we`re back to using my ancient Quick Set Elevator Junior, which isn`t too steady either, or hooking plenty of weight to the Gitzo, which seems only marginally effective.

I`d appreciate recommendations on a somewhat heavy-duty tripod. I don`t need the easy portability of the carbon fiber Gitzo, but I DO need something that will be rock steady even with heavy cameras (besides my wife`s, I still consider going medium format someday) and long lenses, very long exposures, etc. Any ideas?

Accumulator
04-23-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks, ejant. That`s the sort of recommendation I was looking for. I too plan to use the same head on all my pods (don`t want to duplicate, this stuff adds up. Bad enough my wife and I use TOTALLY different systems :o).

johnson
04-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Im looking to get the Bogen 3001BPRO model for $113 plus shipping. Its a little bit shorter than the 3021, but weighs a pound or so lighter. Im only 5`4 so I dont need the extra height. Im not sure which head to get yet.

Ben Carufel
04-29-2003, 01:19 PM
I just picked up a 3021BPRO several months ago and love it. I use it with a 3265 pistol grip ballhead and have had zero issues with either my Canon EOS 630 and long lenses or the Mamiya RZ67. Damned if I can remember how much I paid for the legs, but I know the head was about $105. I believe the legs ran me about $180, because with tax the whole setup was just pushing $300. I bought it locally because I needed it for a project and couldn`t wait for B&H :(.

For my 4x5 I use a Gitzo head on Gitzo legs. You just can`t beat the sturdyness of a Gitzo for studio or 4x5 work.

I`m an assistant for a commercial photographer here in San Diego and that`s pretty much the setup we use in the field, also. Where do you think I got the ideas for what to buy for my own stuff? ;)...

Accumulator
04-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Ben Carufel- Thanks for the input. I looked into the Bogens following ejant`s post and I`m not sure I`d like one of theirs as well as a Gitzo, so I`m still pondering. The Gitzo`s twist lock legs are more like what I`m used to (I`m a real case of old dog/new tricks).

Had I just got my Gitzo with 3 section legs instead of 4 I THINK it`d be working out OK, at least for now. Live and learn.

Which Gitzo legs do you use for your 4x5? Some of their more "industrial" ones are a little pricey, but then my 1228 wasn`t exactly cheap.

FNG- I think the price at B&H is lower (for the 3001BPRO you`re considering), but my catalog is a little old. My $0.02 for a head: I REALLY like my Arca Swiss B1 (w/ quick release plates from Really Right Stuff (http://reallyrightstuff.com/index.html) ) but it might be too basic for your needs.

johnson
04-30-2003, 12:33 PM
B&H lists it for $122.95 ($116 on www.bizrate.com). Im getting the black one, which costs more than the chrome one.

Ben Carufel
04-30-2003, 12:38 PM
I have to agree with the Arca Swiss recommendations. Buy a good, mid-price Arca Swiss and that`s the last monoball you`ll ever have to buy.

This is the tripod we use for our 4x5. Mine is an older version of the same tripod (probably 8 years old). We just got this new updated version in December.

Mk2 Classic Inter Pro Studex - Series 3

Top leg :- 32mm

Loads up to:- 10 kg - 22 lbs.

Matching heads: 3 + Video

Application: For photographers who will settle for nothing less than a Studex tripod, but require extra stability for loads up to 10kg (20.4 lbs.). Features interchangeable grooved Rapid and Geared columns, "wing" locking nuts for added security and 3 position leg angle spread. The G1340 and G1345 are perfect for video cameras using the interface bowls (G1422 = 75mm or G1424 = 100mm). The G1387 is a purpose designed professional video tripod with 75mm half bowl. Tripods have rubber and spiked feet.

For reference, the camera is a Toyo-View 45GN.

Accumulator
04-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Ben Carufel- Thanks for clarifying. That is probably my current "top of list" choice. I always like to hear first-hand recommendations :up

johnson
04-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Accumulator:

I checked the price of the Arca-Swiss B1 and its $400! Is that the right price because that almost costs as much as my camera (Canon G2). I was looking for something around $100 since im an amatuer.

Some macro shots, no tripod.

http://172.140.204.9/Canon_G2/

Ben Carufel
04-30-2003, 03:44 PM
FNG - Yep, Arca Swiss aren`t cheap. The best place to buy stuff, IMO, is B&H in New York. www.bhphotovideo.com is their site. We buy several thousand dollars worth of film from them every month, and all of our new equipment also.

If you want to go used, my favorite site is www.keh.com . I`ve found their selection very impressive and their customer service/inspection system second to none.

Accumulator - Definitely a good choice. I`m surprised sometimes at how much of an opinion I have about stuff like this. 12 months ago I was just a punk detailer, now I`m doing photography full time. Scary.

That Gitzo I mentioned will last you forever and a half. Right now ours is currently somewhere in the Irish countryside on a photoshoot, after spending 2 weeks in New Zealand on, you guessed it, a photoshoot. Next week it`ll spend a day in the studio then jet up to Oregon for another two weeks of shooting.

We`re out of the studio so much that we rarely have time for equipment maintainance, so you can figure that all of our maintainance time is spent with the important stuff - the Mamiya, the Toyo, or some of the lenses for either. We don`t have time to jerk around with unreliable lighting equipment or tripods...

HTH, sorry to rant again :wavey .

square
04-30-2003, 06:06 PM
I agree with Ben on the 3021BPRO and 3265 pistol grip ballhead, that is what I use. Solid, functional, nicely priced.

Depending on your needs, a nice ballhead will be more stable, and allow more precision. But the pistol grip is extremely functional and quick.

Lou

Accumulator
05-01-2003, 10:01 AM
Ben Carufel- Heh heh, that`s no rant...I second your B&H/KEH recommendations. In fact, I usually try to find what I want used at KEH first. Like a Studex tripod, for instance ;)

FNG & Lou- The "right head" is a REAL personal preference issue! I happen to like the `ball for what I do, but my wife, for instance, prefers the pan/tilt built into our old Quick-Set.

FNG- Get what`s right for you and what you`re gonna be doing. You can get a VERY good pan head for around $100, but I`d sure spend a bit extra to get a quick release setup ( a little $ vs. a lifetime of fiddling around).

BTW, I`m certainly an amateur too, and none too highly accomplished at that :o There`s just certain stuff that, when I can afford it, I buy with a "rest of my lifetime" perspective.

Ben Carufel
05-01-2003, 11:48 AM
I`d definitely say 3021BPRO legs and 3265 Pistol-Grip head if you don`t go the Studex route then Accumulator. I never thought of it as THAT sturdy (though it`s not bad at all) but now that I think about it...if we`re using it to support our Mamiyas (with LONG lenses. We normally use the 180, the Zoom, (100-200), or the 360) and selling the images...well, then I`d guess it`s pretty stable :). Never have any complaints from any of our customers about sharpness. And we have some pretty highline catalog clients.

Nice thing about Mamiyas is the inherent MLU. If you screw a cable release into the lens it automatically activates mirror lock up, and you just depress the body shutter to open the mirror then once you`re satisfied the vibrations have desisted, you fire the lens shutter with the cable release.

Accumulator
05-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Ben Carufel- OK, I`m narrowing it down. I suspect I`ll take forever to actually upgrade. For the time being I`m gonna hang some weight on my 1228 and see what happens (or rather, what doesn`t).

Interesting that you like the RZ`s MLU. I`ve seen that some people DON`T like it. But then some people find car radios hard to figure out too.

While I often toy with the idea of a medium format, I always think how it`s the lousy craftsman who buys a new tool :o . But then I`ve only bought 2 decent cameras (for myself) in >30 years, and the Nikon promptly got stolen with the first roll of film still in it.

Sure wish the Spotmatic had MLU (and a spot meter), but I love that old thing anyhow. I guess I`m a real traditionalist, like `em about as mechanical as I can get `em.

johnson
05-01-2003, 02:42 PM
Can you guys give me some model numbers for Bogen`s pan heads? Id like something with quick release (like Accumulator suggested) and good quality. I guess im willing to spend $100 or less (trying to get a tripod and head for under $200) and the only requirement is that its small so I can carry it around without having to think about taking it along. I looked at some of B&H`s legs and head combo but they didnt have the 3001BPRO.