PDA

View Full Version : Gold electroplate emblems

mmeans
04-22-2003, 12:35 PM
I have a client with gold electroplated emblems on his vehicle. I know the layer is very thin so care is needed to not rub through. The emblem has what looks like corrosionon some parts. The base material is plastic and it was electroplated at the dealership. I`ve done several searches on these forums with zero results.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to whip these into shape without going through the electroplate?

Michael Means

imported_Smoker
04-22-2003, 01:09 PM
If its real gold, then i VERY much doubt its corroded.

Gold doesnt corrode, its prolly the least reactive metal there is, thats why teeth, electrical contacts and stuff are made out of it.

Plastic wont electroplate either, as the process needed to electroplate means the item to be coated HAS to conduct electricity, and as we all know, plastic doesnt conduct.

What tends to happen to shiny plastic coated parts on vehicles (like Explorer grilles) is the surface chips and it begins to make the coating flake off.

The shiny coating is plastic and also very soft, so dont use anything abrasive on it or itll go dull.

Nothing much you can do short of telling them to replace it with a new one I`m afraid.

mmeans
04-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Well, these are the standard Lexus badges, they may be pot metal based but are "soap electroplated" at the dealership. The chrome of the emblem is covered by a thin layer of gold.

I fugured they were probably toast. The person has not cleaned the vehicle in 2 years. They have 3 pre-school boys. What a job the interior and exterior was.

Thanks for the answer, any knowledge is good; I`m a student for life.

Michael Means