PDA

View Full Version : windshield pitted?

imported_poweraid
04-22-2003, 05:50 AM
I bought a 97 Miata this winter, and finally got it Zaino`d. Looks great except the front "cone" is full of stone chips, which now are exagerrated due to having the Z5 stuck in them. Any suggestions on that?

Back to my thread though, I thought my windshield looked great after washing with vinegar and water, and RainX`d until I drove into the setting sun. Millions of little spots. I assumed that I had oversprayed my Z6, so I re-washed the windshield with vinegar, even Windex. It didn`t come off. Now I am not so sure it was the Z, I am wondering if I have massive pitting.

Any suggestions on the order of steps I should take to get a clear windshield?

Accumulator
04-22-2003, 12:17 PM
lodestone - Pitted windshields are very common. The more care you take with your car the more likely you are to notice it. In my experience, the only way to get rid of windshield pitting is to replace the windshield. I`ve had to do it to a number of vehicles (I`m a fanatic about windshields..) and there are some things to watch out for. Some of the potential problems are quite serious! You might try a search, we discussed this a while back (including why I`ve replaced so many :o ).

shaf
04-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Since you`re not sure if you have pitting or not, try picking them with your fingernail or feeling the spots with your fingers. If they pop off or the surface feels rough then you can clay your windsheild just like your paint. Of course, seeing as you you have lots of stone chips in the front it probably really is pitting....

meGrimlock
04-22-2003, 02:56 PM
I feel for you Lodestone, my car is only 3 months old, and it has a windshield full of pits and a fair share of rock chips on the hood. I am going to try some glass polish on the windsheild, and I will have to touch up the rock chips soon too. Do a search here for glass polish, and you should come up with some good info. The rule of thumb is if you can feel the scratch/pit with your thumbnail, you can only improve it, you can not polish it out.

imported_Luster
04-22-2003, 03:25 PM
At sunset, of course, is the time when the pits show up the best.

I, too thought it was the Z6 causing the problem. I basically went through your same drill.

Now, I just keep lots of Rain-X on the windshield and hope it will protect it a little.

Rain-X is really slick, if 2 or 3 layers are applied!

huangdong28
04-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Zaino glass cleaner has a mild abrasive and can be power applied to minimize the pits. Be careful around the windshield since it will scuff the rubber gasket. I imagine other mild abrasives could be used as well.

DAC17
04-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Anyone try Diamondite?