PDA

View Full Version : Peanut butter used to take out scratches?

dexter
04-21-2003, 09:21 PM
I have heard from a few people on this board that crunchy peanut butter on a PC can be used to take out scratches. I have one long and fairly light scratch on my passenger side door. I have used 3M rubbing compound fine cut on a yellow cutting pad and no such luck. Anyone tried the peanut butter thing? Thanks

imported_nowaterno
04-21-2003, 09:30 PM
I`ve had good luck with Scratch-X. I had several light scratches that I could feel with my fingernail ( ooo:(). A couple of vigorous sessions with Scratch-X and I cannot see the scratches at all....

dexter
04-21-2003, 09:32 PM
Meguiars Scratch X?

imported_nowaterno
04-21-2003, 09:33 PM
ayup

dexter
04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Did you just rub the paint like hell with that Scratch X? I have tried it, but no such luck. This scratch is really pissing me off :mad:

imported_nowaterno
04-21-2003, 10:33 PM
got a terry towel, put a quarter sized dollop of Scratch-X on it and rubbed until the paint was nearly dry and the Scratch-X had all but disappeared. I had to do it more than once. If that doesn`t do it I`ll let someone else help you as I haven`t gone more aggressive than that.

rstype
04-21-2003, 10:39 PM
:eek:

Unsalted, smooth peanut butter will work no better to remove a scratch than what a mild glaze can do. Crunchy peanut butter will act as a 5-grit abrasive and add some new scratches.

GTI2001, do you know what it means to remove a scratch? It`s not by miracles - no product will remove it if the scratch goes through the paint. To remove a scratch (or swirl, or many other defects) is to abrade and thin down your paintĂ‚ˇK in order to get your scratch level with the paint. If you can feel it, there isn`t much to do other than colorsand.

From your peanut butter question, I wouldnĂ‚ˇĂ‚¦t try colorsanding it yourself. Try calling a professional.

Good luck!

Lemonxxs
04-22-2003, 02:10 PM
NEver heard of peanut butter removing scratches.....................please point me to the threads that said that pleaseeeee

Anthony O.
04-22-2003, 03:44 PM
I would have to agree here with the veterans that peanut butter, while wonderful on toast with jelly and honey. has no place in my aresenal of paint prep products.

Peanut butter, or rather the peanut oil, is used as a molding and trim cleaner to remove wax residue. I have found though that it is more of a cover up than a true residue remover. If you are going to try the peanut butter trick make sure it is the creamy and not the crunchy.......or the Goobers brand that combines both jelly and peanut butter. That would be bad.

Anthony

billrouleau
04-22-2003, 04:24 PM
or the Goobers brand that combines both jelly and peanut butter. That would be bad.

LOL! :D :D

thegeek
04-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Guess My Name

NEver heard of peanut butter removing scratches.....................please point me to the threads that said that pleaseeeee

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22036