PDA

View Full Version : OK, this is weird... I heard about it at the local detail shop...

Patrick
04-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Ok, i went to the local detail shop today, to get my front windows tinted again, (you know, busted by the CHP)anyway, the owner notices I detail for a hobby, and he starts asking a few questions which i respond politely too...I notice he carries Automagic Polymer, and I ask if he uses/likes it. He says its garbage, and only sells the stuff off the shelf (Wonder why he even carries it then), but he gos on to tell me he sells this stuff that "you put on the car, let it dry, and peel it off like a eggshell"....Sells it to consumers for $70.00, he gets it for $ 30.00.....(Not a bad profit in my book) He says it hardens, and seals whatever you protect the car with......anyone heard of such a thing ?????

offcenter
04-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Patrick

Ok, i went to the local detail shop today, to get my front windows tinted again, (you know, busted by the CHP)anyway, the owner notices I detail for a hobby, and he starts asking a few questions which i respond politely too...I notice he carries Automagic Polymer, and I ask if he uses/likes it. He says its garbage, and only sells the stuff off the shelf (Wonder why he even carries it then), but he gos on to tell me he sells this stuff that "you put on the car, let it dry, and peel it off like a eggshell"....Sells it to consumers for $70.00, he gets it for $ 30.00.....(Not a bad profit in my book) He says it hardens, and seals whatever you protect the car with......anyone heard of such a thing ?????

Maybe he was pulling your leg. I would not want to peel off a coating on my car like peeling an eggshell. That sounds like more work that spending a day washing, claying, polishing and waxing the car. Compare an egg to the size of your car.:nixweiss

imported_Smoker
04-21-2003, 08:29 PM
Well me and Jngrbrd went to my favourite detail supply shop today so I could show him the prices and choice of materials.

They stock a little Automagic stuff (apparently a local `reputable` detail shop used to use it alot) and there were two or three very dusty looking bottles hidden on the bottom shelf amongst the rows and rows of Megs, 3M, Farecla G Series and even brands we havn`t discovered before.

I doubt I would try it even if it was given to me.

Anyone here used 3M Imperial Machine Glaze ? it was $6 dearer than IHG and I wondered what the difference was.

From the ingredients panel it seemed there were MORE abrasives and solvents and less oils in the machine glaze.

Any ideas?

They also had 3M and Farecla waffle foam pads, of differing designs but both looked very nice.

Again - anyone had any experience with these ?

shaf
04-21-2003, 08:53 PM
Boy, that`s a weird sounding product Patrick. :confused: It sounds almost like one of those facial masque/chemical peel things at beauty spas! :p

See if you can get a name for this product or something. It`s certainly different, that`s for sure....