PDA

View Full Version : Detailing isn`t for everyone

Pages : [1] 2

airjames
04-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Well I`ve had it today. It was nice out and decided to clean up the Ranger. Yes I know it`s Easter but I refuse to sit on my buttocks on such a nice day. After a family gathering and church. I went back to the house and throw a quick coat of #26 on it. Just a simple Meguiars once over. The washing, cleaning and detarring went smooth. It`s the waxing part that pisses me off real bad. When it comes down to using either a polish or wax or whatever, it always smears, uneven gloss everywhere, and just hard to buff off and I"m sweatin my ballz off after I"m done. I have Meguiars professional line but for whatever reason I just can`t seem to get anything to work for me. I use thin coats, take my time but,,,,,,,forget it, I"m not going to rant on and on about my problems. As of now my ranger looks like total crap and I have tried to get a clay bar to work for me but it I guess it`s just not possible. Clay bars, polishes, waxes, or anything even tire dressings look like sh*t total uneven gloss all over. I adore a clean mirrior like shine car, I envy it and respect the owner who makes it like that. I have put forth 100% effort into it and maybe 20% of the time, a car looks great. So I give up on detailing:down L8r all,,,,,,91

hondaguy2582
04-20-2003, 04:07 PM
ok, we all have struggles. I feel your pain on the #26, it is not that user friendly when removing. Its best to remove it after you put it on because it does dry pretty fast. Another thing is make sure your coats are real thin, bc it isn`t the best wax to remove. Just remember, some products dont` work for everyone, but don`t give up on detailing. divide your work into sections per day say, that way you can take the time on each one. The only way to get good at detailing is practice, and thats through frustration and such(believe me, i always get frustrated no matter what, but i still hold it together).

imported_jgv
04-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Abercrombie2582

divide your work into sections per day say, that way you can take the time on each one. The only way to get good at detailing is practice, and thats through frustration and such(believe me, i always get frustrated no matter what, but i still hold it together).

This is how I started! It took me 3 days (a part of them) to complete just the roof. After working about 2 hours a day, after 2 weeks, I had my car the way I wanted it.

Persistence is very important. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/3/dummhead.gif

schoi
04-20-2003, 06:52 PM
I used to be like that.

One thing I`ve noticed is that you just can`t be totally anal. You will get no pleasure that way even though your car looks better than the vast majority of the ones out there. You really ought to take some happiness in that.

Other than that, well, who knows? There`s lots of other waxes you could try; give it a little more time to dry; ... .

bjwebster
04-20-2003, 06:58 PM
Dont lose hope! Try some new products and take your time and enjoy doing it. I have done my car before with some new product and it came out looking less than satisfactory, but I just figure, ill work on it more another day.

Just give it time!

:spot

Jngrbrdman
04-20-2003, 07:03 PM
I can`t even count how many times I`ve thrown in the sponge on a job because it was just so frustrating. After awhile it became a challange that I needed to succeed at. You are right that its not for everyone though. You need to have an appreciation of beautiful cars and understand that it means more than just shiney. I think you have that appreciation and are perfectly cut out for it. You just need some more practice and maybe a little more patience and it will all come together. Don`t give up yet. :xyxthumbs

JUNNIEIV
04-20-2003, 08:14 PM
how about giving s100 a try? It applies and removes SO easily

DaGonz
04-20-2003, 08:30 PM
I think we have all been there and said to ourselves at one time or another "Why on God`s green earth did I decide to detail this (expletive deleted) car?

Then we stand back, take a deep breath, and see the possibilities.....

and we end up with something that is beautiful!

Magellan498
04-20-2003, 08:39 PM
He isn`t gone for good is he....

Come Back *echo* *echo*

shaf
04-20-2003, 10:10 PM
As frustrated as you feel, I think you should get back on the horse! :) Just keep at it, and take your time next time and practice your technique. You said that you have Meguiar`s Professional line, which is all well and good, but just like the expression that everything is 95% prep and 5% product, the prep process itself is broken down into maybe 75% technique and 25% product as a personal guess. Maybe take this opportunity to try out some techniques that are different than the ones you are currently using.

Good luck!

CRXSi90
04-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Maybe you need to step back and try something easier. Some say that the wax you used was hard to use. When I was working on my aunt`s Neon, I decided to wax with Turtlewax 2001 liquid (yeah yeah, that or Meguiar`s Gold Class liquid...I was going for durability, which turtle claims) and it was getting all streaky when I was wiping it off. The sun was setting and so was the dew. I had to get this done, but the streaks got worse as the air dampened. I pulled out the hair dryer, and it dried the wax amazingly and no more streaks existed. It might be wise to step down to something that is easy to use...after all, it is about technique, not product (I hear).

Basically, just step back and get good at the big stuff (wash, some easy wax), then you can tackle the mysterious things one by one.

I`d suggest turtle wax liquid or even NuFinish since I`ve had luck with those being easy to use, and best of all, one of the cheapest things out there. For tires, I would suggest a spray dressing. That is what I have right now, but am looking for a gell because I always get overspray on my paint. Spray should be able to be applied non-blotchy, though. Even with what you have, going to one extreem or another helps (either work for a really shiny finish on tires by just gooping the stuff on or a rather matte finish by buffing it all).

I don`t have much experience with polishes or clays, but I can tell you polishing by hand is quite a bit of work. What was your bad experience with clay? I have meguiars and had some streaking issues, but it is hard for me to give much more detail of the problem because the condition I was using it under was an extreem...shower of metal dust which rusted to the paint.

I understand your frustration 100 percent, but I think you should step back and just take average care of your car, then improve each aspect one-by-one. (I hope this is good advice, otherwise I`m doomed with my method...)

Paintxpert
04-21-2003, 07:19 AM
No matter what your are doing and the results that you are achieving, there is always a way round these problems.

For example - someone mentioned using a QD or spray water for your streaks.

I watch my neighbours (that rarely detail) using Mer, TW etc with old t-shirts and towels, really struggling and I release just how relatively easy I (we) have it, knowing what we know :)

paco
04-21-2003, 09:17 AM
Carnuba`s can be tricky. Depending on heat and humidity, they can bit of pain to get off.

Have you tried going the synthetic route? Zaino is very easy to apply and to come off and provides a very durable and great finish.

This past weekend, I detailed my mom`s Green 97 Z24 .

Last 2 coats of Z5 went on in June 2002. No other work has been done to it other than the odd Touchless wash.

A2Z (orange bottle) the wheels and tires. Did a great job on the tires. After 6 years of build up on the rims, the A2Z worked pretty well without any agitation. However, it did seem pretty strong though.

Washed with Gold Class Soap (30minutes)- The car still had tight beads! I couldn`t believe it. Granted, it`s garaged 7days a week and only really get`s driven on evenings and weekends but still - nearly 9 months of protection. Amazing!!!! The slickness was gone but that`s to be expected as she doesn`t quick detail after her monthly visits to the Touchless.

I didn`t clay (limited time) due to having to visit friends and family.

Polishing wasn`t necessary. Not a swirl in site.

I applied 3 coats Z5 on Saturday (3 hours due the 1/2-1 hr dry time) along with a S100 topper on Sunday (20minutes).

Applied a quick coat the wheels. Followed-up with some RainX wheel protectant.

The shine was unreal :spot. A couple of friends came over when I was leaving and couldn`t believe how well the car looked.

The use of carnuba`s are okay but the constant up keep can be a problem. I`m 100% sold on Zaino now after seeing how well it lasted on my mom`s Cavalier which is for all intensive purposes: neglected. It`s too bad that my old beater which I was testing the longevity of Zaino was a write-off.

I`ve got to get down and buy myself a digicam already. A70 here I come.

Moral of the rant, go with a sealant that easy to use (Zaino), avoid carnuba`s, don`t think to much about it and make sure you prep well.

Tire dressing, make sure you have very clean tires and use a tire applicator.

In a bind, I have used Wisk (laundry liquid soap) and a brush and it works very very very well. I used it full strength right on the tire. Only thing though, at that rate, it gets expensive but it does work very well.

Just remember the Keep it simple principle.

Wash

Polish (Porter Cable helps a lot) with the newest formulations available i.e. Meguiars Body Shop Line and 3M Perfect III line for the easiest and best results - the older lines (Meguiars Pro and 3M Finesse It or 3M SMR can be a bit of pain to work with (especially by hand)

Wash again

Seal

Enjoy!

Paco

P.S. Distilled water in a spray bottle quickly becomes your friend! No spots!

imported_Aurora40
04-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Many people have mentioned trying different products. I wholeheartedly agree. Although I am wondering if you will read any of these responses... Anyway, maybe you should start out small. Get some Mother`s Cleaner/Wax or some Meguiar`s Cleaner/Wax. Just wash the car, maybe clay and de-tar, and work the cleaner waxes. They are very easy to use and very forgiving. Your car/truck may not look like a Concours car, but I bet it will look much better. Just try to get used to applying them evenly and lightly. Once you feel comfortable and you are enjoying yourself, then start thinking about multi-step products. Or maybe start topping your cleaner/wax with your #26 first. Don`t try to start out doing it all. I doubt anybody here started out that way. If you think it will help you feel more autopian, try something like Klasse AIO (no SG yet) or Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection. I always find MPPP to be incredibly easy to use. Just let it sit for a while and it buffs off like a light dust. Don`t give up just yet!

As far as tires, I have seen plenty a tire that was just too crapified and old to maintain an even gloss. And I have dealt with interiors that just don`t look even with some vinyl protectants. In those cases, you may need to try something else or just accept that some things are so far gone they can`t be saved (like old tires).

As a last resort with difficult-to-buff waxes, try washing the car. That has fixed many a Gold Class, SG, #26 (whenever I tried to layer it on the same day :nono), or whatever haze. At the worst, that might be your finishing step for a while. No problem. Everyone has their own style. Your style can be the double-wash. Hey, you get to see that awesome beading right away! No waiting `til it rains for you! :bigups

shaf
04-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

As far as tires, I have seen plenty a tire that was just too crapified and old to maintain an even gloss. :lol *BING* Today`s word is: "crapified"

I`ll have to remember that one. :LOLOL