PDA

View Full Version : Simple Green as a carwash?

yonghyun
04-20-2003, 02:32 PM
I was on another car forum and some guy said in a post that he uses diluted Simple Green as a carwash. I was always under the impression that Simple green would strip away wax and consistent use would cause the paint to fade. This guy swears that SG will not cause any damage if diluted.

Just want to know if this guy is right or not.

imported_Dude
04-20-2003, 03:05 PM
Most anything won`t damage your paint if you dilute it enough. Then again, it will lose its cleaning properties too.

I would not be surprised if Simple Green could be used as a car wash if it is diluted enough, but I`m not going to try it on my cars to find out.

Steve @ Guru
04-20-2003, 03:18 PM
I just don`t get it...

Why on earth do people insist on using products that aren`t designed for a specific purpose when there`s a ton of specifically designed products to do the job. :(

Even an "expensive" car wash like Zaino`s Z7 ($7.95 for 16oz) costs less than $0.50 per use. Why anyone would use a product that`s known to be fairly corrosive to just about everything as their car wash is beyond me...The stuff strips concrete clean, so imagine what it does to wax on paint...

TurboCat
04-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I spent 3-4 hours washing/cleaning up my car today, using the new Sonax. Works great! Then a guy with a BMW drove into the car wash bay after me and spent 20 minutes washing his Bimmer with Palmolive dishwashing liquid out of a bathroom waste basket (instead of a bucket)!

I only hope he was getting ready to apply Klasse! But I kind of doubt it :rolleyes:

MicroRacer
04-20-2003, 04:21 PM
And I`m concerned about the soap at the "do it yourself" spray car wash??:nixweiss Oh well..whatever your thing is!!

:D

shaf
04-20-2003, 09:48 PM
What Steve said. :up Even using the cheapest generic or TW shampoo that`s priced at a couple dollars would probably be better.

Also, is Simple Green even designed to provide any lubrication? Another important quality of purpose-made car shampoo IMO.

Scottwax
04-20-2003, 11:18 PM
I detailed a very faded GMC Jimmy a few years ago. It took about 3-4 hours to bring the paint back. When I finished, I told her to make sure she keeps it waxed every 3 months and uses only car wash soap so it won`t fade again...and that is when she asked if she could keep washing it with Simple Green...and that she uses a lot in the bucket to make sure her truck got real clean.

I about fell over! I told her that probably a large part of her fading problem was the use of Simple Green. It would immediately remove the wax (especially since she mixed it strong) and eventually dull the paint again.

smdetail
04-21-2003, 12:25 AM
Would it be advisable to use Simple Green to strip wax when we want to apply different detailing product?

aljo
04-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by myauto

Would it be advisable to use Simple Green to strip wax when we want to apply different detailing product?

I would pass on that. Its really harsh on the paint.

Just use Dawn or dishwashing soap. It will do the job and go easy on your paint.

Vegas1
04-21-2003, 03:29 AM
Why on earth do people insist on using products that aren`t designed for a specific purpose when there`s a ton of specifically designed products to do the job.

My thoughts exactly.:nixweiss

CharlesW
04-21-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by geekysteve

Why on earth do people insist on using products that aren`t designed for a specific purpose when there`s a ton of specifically designed products to do the job. :(

Probably because they have read somewhere that it is a good idea. Possibly even on a noted detail forum.

Case in point, Dawn for dishes. Recommended hundreds of times for removal of wax. While I`m not saying it shouldn`t be, I am saying that many people could easily get confused as to what products would be OK whan used for other than their designed purpose. Most of them haven`t a clue, it`s just not their thing.

Unfortunarely, many people believe all the stuff they read on the internet.

Charles:wavey

getfit74
04-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by geekysteve

I just don`t get it...

Sort of like DAWN, huh?

imported_Luster
04-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Use Simple Green diluted 70/30 (70 water/30 SG) in the ENGINE BAY! But not on the PAINT. I also us it to pre-soak soiled MF`s and terry towels.

If you want to strip wax, use DAWN.....

The best bargain for the money is Meguiar`s 1/2 gallon, available at any Wal-Mart........SUPER SLICK and won`t harm wax or polish!

aljo
04-21-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Avalanche

Sort of like DAWN, huh?

Think of it this way. Dawn is made to fight grease but happens to work for wax as well. Dawn is safe for your hands for the most part. Would you use Simple Green to wash your hands? Even if its a diluted amount?