PDA

View Full Version : Removing Polish/Wax Problems

dr00t
04-19-2003, 11:26 PM
When I use a microfiber towel to rub the polish or waxes from my vehicle I notice lines resembling the path I used my microfiber towel. I am still not too sure whether or not my microfiber was creating the scratch, or it was just a coincidence of the pattern...

I tried 2 ways of removing things.

1. Swirl Method, basically just removing by rubbing in a circular method.

2. Straight Method, I went the length of the hood back and forth in straight lines to remove.

Seems like both ways created the same problem.

Although I noticed a considerable difference in the appearance of the car from what originally was wrong to the final product, I think the only flaws were actually caused by the microfiber itself.

Am I applying too much pressure to the MF, and if so, how much pressure should I be applying to remove polishes/waxes?

huggybear
04-19-2003, 11:45 PM
What kind of MF were you using?

jimmybuffit
04-19-2003, 11:54 PM
The microfiber towel should not be causing the streaks/scratches.

To validate this, ty the CD test. Rub that same towel over an old AOL cd.

I`m guessing that a contaminent was introduced somewhere along th line...

Pressure should not be an issue...

Use a QD.

MF towels are truly amazing....

Jim

Ryan
04-29-2003, 06:42 PM
I bet it is that you are using too much product and/or the product is really greasy and you need to clean the paint more prior to waxing/polishing.

Ryan

Ryan
05-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Yep. I actually confirmed that the if the paint isn`t clean enough and compounded properly then you WILL have problems with wax and polish streaking.

Ryan

shaf
05-07-2003, 10:41 PM
About applying pressure when buffing, I think you should attempt to use as little as will do the job. :nixweiss Pressure isn`t a requirement for buffing, it`s only to let the cloth contact the surface well enough to pull off the residues.

I don`t know if what you`re describing is actual abrasive scratching or just streaking/smearing, but if it`s the former then read jimamary`s post. If it`s the latter then read Ryan`s posts (check your methods). ;)

Patrick
05-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Whats your product line ?