PDA

View Full Version : Just clayed for the 1st time!

PiL
04-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Bought Clay Magic and clayed my black Passat tonight. This stuff is awesome! Topped it off with Megs #7 and then Blitz. The next time I clay, I may try Klasse AIO w/P21S after claying. Anyway, the shine is awesome. The hood is like a mirror - I can see my nose hairs in the reflection.

I cut the clay bar into 3rds. Can I use the same piece again? How many times can I use the same piece. It did get a little dirty from the lower doors and the front bumper/hood.

Jngrbrdman
04-19-2003, 10:04 PM
You can use the same piece as long as it isn`t too dirty. When it gets to the point that you feel that it may be to loaded up (usually it gets black) then you can use it on your glass or something. 1/3 of a bar is good for a good 3 jobs on your car easy. Probably more than that. Just don`t drop it and you`ll be fine. :xyxthumbs

PerfectionDetailing
04-19-2003, 10:18 PM
I bought some clay magic today too. I am planning on detailing the car from scratch again.

1. Wash with Gold Class Shampoo

2. Clay

3. AIO

4. #7 or SG

5. S100

I have never used clay and am afraid it will leave swirls or mild knicks in the clear coat. My paint is in very good shape it is a year and a half old and has been sealed with sg countless times over the past year. I was not sure why I bought the #7. I just wanted to try something new. I have a metallic blue car and love the shine SG gives it. I guess I wanted to see if I like the wet look any better.

My biggest fear with the clay is that it will mark up the clear coat. Currently there are only a few knicks you can see against the sunlight, I dont want to create any more.

airjames
04-19-2003, 11:54 PM
Lapis,

I felt the same way as you. Scardycat and total chicken about using a clay bar as I feared the swirls marks, microstraches etc... I used Pro`s Clay Away 4 on my 98 Ranger. I had some difficulties at first using it because I thought the clay was junk or deffective for whatever reason. Turns out it was my fault. I was using too much lube and the surface was too slick for the clay to grab hold of anything. Next time around what I will do is, clay with a car wash and water mixed in a spray bottle and go to town. I have seen in person what properly clayed finish looks like. It does look awesome and it really helps out to wake up the finish and the wax to come alive. If your careful, take your time and don`t drop it, you should have nothing to fear,,,,,,,91

shaf
04-20-2003, 02:18 AM
I also keep using a chunk of clay until it gets unacceptably filled with dirt, whatever that point may be for you. I`ve kept the dirty, used up pieces though, and plan to clay a few windshields this year...

Lapis, depending on how your car is cared for, it may or may not need claying. Does the paint feel like it has any roughness or tiny bits of grit stuck to the paint? If it does, then claying will get rid of most of that and make the paint feel terrific. On another note, I wouldn`t try to combine #7 with a Klasse regimen.....

WRXedUSA
04-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Dude, I just clayed my S-10 tonight. I want to have sex with it now. It will have my child.

I actually worked. I stroked it back and forth in rotatin directions until the "scratching" stopped and then folded the bar over and did it again. I topped it with #7 and then Medallion, then a pure carnuba #26. It is slicker that snot. It gave that ruff old paint a jelly feel to it.