PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Tires

Pages : [1] 2 3

wizardofahs
04-19-2003, 05:55 PM
This is an often overlooked area I think. There are probably lots of people who don`t know the right way to do them, yet doing them correctly can make a huge difference. So, lets get some good info on how to do them the right way. I`ll start with some questions for the Pros.

Do you wash the tires (with soap) or just dress them? If so what do you use to wash?

If using a gel tire dressing, what is the best way to get it applied evenly so it doesn`t look darker in certain areas?

When your dressing them how do you deal with the fact that you don`t dress the part that touches the road? Do you just do the sides and cover up around the edge a lot, then let the road even it out, or do you take care to go just up to the side of the tire and no further?

SK2003TypeS
04-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Well, not a pro, but I wash tires with just carwash shampoo and tire brush. Let `em air dry and been using Eagle One Wet tire shine with a EO curved foam applicator. Usually lasts 2 or 3 weeks. Rain shortens the life of it.

Has a shine, but not too shiney. I go up to the tread of the tire and leave it there. I don`t like the drastic change in color there, but don`t know what to do. Don`t want to dress the tread (I like staying on the road).

What do you do for the inside profile of the tire that nobody sees ? anything ? I don`t, but feel like I should take of the wheels and give `em a good cleaning. As well as the rim on the inside.

Just got some EF Black opal, but haven`t tried it yet.

Good topic :xyxthumbs

wizardofahs
04-19-2003, 06:15 PM
my biggest problem is the spotting, but it seems to be bad on those really bad looking tires that are all brown and gross. That`s why i think maybe doing a really good cleaning on them with the right stuff will get rid of those brown spots, and lead to a better looking tire after the dressing.

imported_Smoker
04-19-2003, 06:17 PM
If the tires are muddy, they get a scrub with the last of the wash water after ive done the paint.

usually theyre pretty clean, so just a good rub with Megs `Grape Jelly`, let it sit for a minute then buff it with a terry towel.

They come out nice n even with a satin finish.

Nothing worse than `wet look` tires.

I feather the dressing out towards the treads so there isnt a definate line and it looks more natural.

imported_Intel486
04-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Spray the tires down with an All Purpose Clear and then scrub with a stiff nylon bristled brush. Also got a white wall tire for white letters and white walls. I then hose off and let dry and dress.

C. Charles Hahn
04-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Ok I think I`ve posted this before, but here`s my tire detailing regimine:

1) Wet down tires with water

2) Scrub with carwash soap

3) Clean tires with APC+ or similar all-purpose cleaner.

4) Clean tires with Dow Scrubbing Bubbles (aerosol can)

5) Allow to air-dry mostly, use pressured air to clean right near the treads and around the wheel lip.

6) Apply Meg`s endurance regular-gloss liberally with EO tire swipe, be sure to cover everything and don`t be overly picky about getting any on the outside treads of the tires (that come in contact with the road, driving will level this out)

7) Let this soak into the rubber for about 15 minutes, then wipe excess with a shop rag. Re-touch any spots that are thinner/splotchy and let set for about 5 minutes, wipe away excess.

8) If there are still any spots that need touch up, use low-gloss armor-all to touch these spots up.

That should get the tires looking right.

imported_BretFraz
04-19-2003, 07:50 PM
For me Eagle One Tire Cleaner is indispensible. It is my all time favorite car detailing product ever in the history of all car detailing products. I use it every time I wash a car... any car.

The spotting/streaking is probably from the wax secreted by tires in a process known as "blooming". A tire cleaner will help remove that stuff. Also a tire that has seen a lot of silicone-based dressing will cause streaks.

Sometimes it takes a few applications of tire cleaner and dressing to get out all the junk and silicone from the rubber. Ya just gotta be patient with some tires sometimes. I used to use Black Again on my tires, a lanolin cream protectant and it took several applications before the oils came out of the tire to allow an even appearance.

To get the bottom of the tire all I do is roll the car a couple feet and apply protectant. To me that`s the definition of "detailing" - gotta take care of those details. :)

shaf
04-20-2003, 01:27 AM
I also use a tire cleaner every time I wash. I used to use the favourite EO Tire Cleaner like lots of other people, but as it started to run low I also bought Mothers Tire and Rubber Cleaner to try. I`ve been warming up to this product more as I use it and might not get more EO later on. I like it because you`re supposed to hose down the tire first before spraying it on. I found tire cleaners to be useless without brushing them in, so although the EO cleaner has instructions similar to their wheel cleaner (spray on dry, hose off) the Mothers cleaner works well with scrubbing. It suds up mildly like a soap too, making it easier to see where you`ve worked. I also use FAR less cleaner than I would with EO since I would saturate the sidewalls when using that.

I use a $1 scrub brush with semi-fine bristles, which I figure does a better job of getting into ribbed lettering and small crevices than a stiff, coarse brush.

I`ve found that after the first couple initial cleanings, cleaning the tires and re-dressing them frequently makes them easier to clean next time, and keeps the tires looking uniform even if the dressing wears off.

I also apply my tire gel with the EO Tire Swipe, and also roll the car a couple feet (ooof!) to get that spot I can`t swipe. :up Conversely, this is also one reason I use a aerosol foam on the van. :D

PS: When you dry the tires with a rag to apply that dressing, it`s best to blot it dry, not wipe, since the lettering or curb rash on the tires can catch on the cloth, leaving you with annoying lint and fibers everywhere.

2K4Element
04-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Yesterday i tried eimann fabrik sapphire tire gel tire gel. i think it is the best tire dressing i have used. it goes on great i just used a regular foam applicator. It is not too glossy which is my preference i dont like the real glossy tire dressings. it will be the only tire dressing i will use from now on. I purchased it from CMA.

JimS
04-21-2003, 10:35 PM
I wash them and spray them with Stoners MSLT. That`s it.

Malibu
04-22-2003, 01:59 AM
I haven`t tried the EO Tire Cleaner yet, but I absolutely love using EF-HI to clean the tires. I do it as the final step before drying the car and use a stiff Viking tire brush. I remember when I had my Explorer which had white lettering on the tires, and I used to have to scrub them like crazy with Dawn to get them clean. Then I found out about EF-HI, and was blown away with how easily it got the dirt out. Then I apply some Zaino Z16 (still my favorite tire dressing) with a foam applicator that I got from LA Zaino (and can`t remember the manufacturer for the life of me). For extra neglected tires, sometimes a second application is needed to even things out.

Mike

Green Monster
04-22-2003, 06:54 AM
I use EO A2Z wheel cleaner for the tires and a scrub brush. Works great, nice and deep clean.

Then I dress the tires with Meguiar`s #40 and let soak in for about 30 min and then coat the tires with a tire gel either Turtle Wax tire wax or Meguiar`s Endurance tire wax or EO tire gel using an EO tire swipe. Right now I am leaning towards EO tire gel, leaves a nice shine (not to shinny) and seems to last longer.

Some times on my own car/truck I just use 303 Aerospace Protectant but thats washes off in the rain and is very expensive tire dressing. (I love that matt look and dust and dirt doesn`t stick to it.)

imported_Luster
04-22-2003, 08:01 AM
First I wet the tires.

Next spray Simple Green on tires and let soak for 2 minutes.

Scrub with tire brush.

Dry with towel.

Spray on "Grape Tire Dressing" from Top of the Line (http://www.topoftheline.com) .

Grape TD gives the tires a "new tire" look. Not shiney.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/p6e5824223216aafd3426ce879e12f37d/fc7ee705.jpg

chris0626
04-22-2003, 11:12 AM
I`ve been using Megs APC+ since it arrived a couple of weeks ago, and am just thrilled with it. Key thing (it seems to me) is to keep repeating the apply/brush/rinse cycle until no more of the brown stuff washes out of the rubber -- i.e., you`ll wash it once beyond the point of "clean."

And I do try to wash the whole tire, even the part that hits the road.

Dressing: I`ve recently switched to Eagle 1 Satin Finish. Gorgeous, dark, satin appearance. Me happy!

imported_Aurora40
04-22-2003, 11:26 AM
My routine isn`t really that amazing, but since everyone is posting:

I spray them down with water first, then I spray them with APC+ and brush them with a stiff brush. Then I hose them off. I don`t dry them with anything.

I apply Meg`s Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber to them because I want to use it up. I will likely start using #40 or Poorboy`s Natural Look once that happens. I use a Meg`s tire applicator because they are low cost and work well. I also don`t buff the tires afterwards.

I don`t dry or buff my tires because I would end up with a pretty disgusting rag. There is no way I`m then gonna put that in my washing machine. I`m also not gonna just ruin and toss a perfectly good rag each time I clean tires. They turn out just fine with a nice even look to them.