PDA

View Full Version : Clay, DACP, Then what new car questions?

monodax
04-19-2003, 12:08 AM
I have just purchased a 99 Camaro Z-28 Hugger Orange with White Stripes. It is pretty new with about 35,000 miles on the clock and the paint is in very good condition but it does have surface imperfections such as light waterspots but I have went over the car with Claymagic, now I have just finished applying DACP with my PC with Meguairs soft sponge middle grade not cutting red one. Honestly now it looks like a mirror hardly any surface flaws. My question is this, I am tempted to apply zaino but I have the big bottles of Meguiars pretty much all the main numbers as I bought them last summer for my 1996 Mystic Cobra. I loved the appearance of it on the mystic BUT it looked pretty much slightly above average after a couple weeks of driving and 1 wash week but not nearly as good as it did when I first waxed it. I read about Zaino`s durability and shine lasting at least 1 month or more but I also like the Meguiars Glazes and Yellow Wax. If I did go with Zaino would I need to rewash the car with dawn and then apply zaino as the surface feels pretty slick as if it has some sort of wax on it now from the DACP. Or would you just continue and use the Meguiars Glaze, and then the High Tech Yellow Wax. I have never owned this color car and am not sure what would give the best shine on this color and last somewhat a long time. Or is their a way to layer the glaze or wax I have and make it last longer or look better longer. I am also taking pics at every stage from before I washed to after the DACP, etc. It would be good for another example of how the polished look at each stage on the car for review.

F 355
04-19-2003, 06:20 AM
Monodax -

Cool car...always liked Z`s...

Let me just get things started and I`m sure many more will chime in soon.

First, Zaino will last a long time, not a month. I`m not a fan of Zaino on dark colors, but it`s whatever floats your boat. Zaino probablly has the best durability of anything out there and offers a strong reflective shine.

Zaino likes to stick to clean paint, hence the washing with dawn to remove any oils, fillers, etc left behind by your prep work.

Yes, you can layer glaze wax you currently have, if that is what is on the car now. If you don`t know what`s on it now, then the DACP will pretty much take whatever is on now off and you can start with clean fresh surface.

I suggest you do what I did. Take both products and test them side by side on your car? I divided my front bumper with masking tape and tried both. In fact, I took picutres and even surveyed my neighbors...

If you don`t like the Zaino it can easily be removed with a mix of water and alcohol.

Take some pix along the way and post it here...

Again, I`m sure others will contribute....

imported_BretFraz
04-19-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by F 355

Monodax -

Cool car...always liked Z`s...

Let me just get things started and I`m sure many more will chime in soon.

First, Zaino will last a long time, not a month. I`m not a fan of Zaino on dark colors, but it`s whatever floats your boat. Zaino probablly has the best durability of anything out there and offers a strong reflective shine.

Zaino likes to stick to clean paint, hence the washing with dawn to remove any oils, fillers, etc left behind by your prep work.

Yes, you can layer glaze wax you currently have, if that is what is on the car now. If you don`t know what`s on it now, then the DACP will pretty much take whatever is on now off and you can start with clean fresh surface.

I suggest you do what I did. Take both products and test them side by side on your car? I divided my front bumper with masking tape and tried both. In fact, I took picutres and even surveyed my neighbors...

If you don`t like the Zaino it can easily be removed with a mix of water and alcohol.

Take some pix along the way and post it here...

Again, I`m sure others will contribute....

I can`t add to this because all the above advice is excellent. I`d do a side-by-side comparo as well if I was not sure of what to use. Try it on a small panel and decide which one you like best.

monodax
04-19-2003, 03:21 PM
I actually didn`t think about doing a piece of the car but that would make sense due to what I read about some cars reacting differently to different brands of chemicals. I will do the half and half on the rear bumper as it seems to get the most abuse from dust and washing, especially driving in rain it gets coated in junk). I am taking pictures as I see good reviews on the forums but usually it is only the after shots as I usually want to see the before and after. So far the car is looking very clean with just the DACP, I am taking my time and just doing it slowly as I have it in my garage with no worries about dust or rain. I should be done tommorow evening and will post some pics in my gallery section. I usually use Megs on my mystic cobra and it does very well as I also have some pics of it in the gallery section from a while back.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=4485&cat=500&thumb=1

Thanks again for everyones info!:D