PDA

View Full Version : My barrage of Zaino questions

Preachers Sheets
04-18-2003, 10:07 PM
I have "searched" for these answers but I get a bits of info from each thread. I am going to use Zaino tomorrow and I want to make sure I get everything perfect so I thought I would call on you guys.

I have ZFX and Z1 Polish Lok. Should I use the bottle of Z1 or the ZFX? I want to layer the max I can tomorrow (3 coats right?) while making sure I get the best shine I can out of a hard days work.

What is the best way to use ZFX? I did a search and it seems like people are filling up the little bottles that come in the ZFX kit and mixing a few drops. Do you people fill up the bottle and how many drops do you use?

If I was to use Z1, I was told one coat after the first then I’m all set for a year or so. Then I read one coat between each layer of Z5 then I read one coat between every five layers of Z5. I am kind of confused on what to do.

It all boils down to, what is going to give me the better shine, the Z1 of the ZFX.

imported_BretFraz
04-18-2003, 10:43 PM
I`m hardly the Zaino expert here but I do have a little experience with it which I guess gives me some credibility which some Autopians are questioning. So here are the answers I`m able to provide:

1. Z1 and ZFX do essentially the same thing but in different ways. The biggest advantage of ZFX is instant cure time. If you do not want to wait hours for each coat to cure, use ZFX. Simple as that. You don`t have to worry about ambient temps or humidity which have an impact on cure times without ZFX.

2. This method is described in detail in the Zaino instructions. I do not think you should fill up the bottle (its 2 ounces) since you can apply 3 coats with less than 1 ounce. I use 3 drops per ounce. So add 3 drops, fill the bottle 50%, shake well, let it set up for 15-20 mins or so, and apply.

3. I`ve never understood all the Z1 + x coats of Z5, add more Z1, etc etc. I think that stuff was more important before ZFX. I just ignore all that and mix ZFX in whatever I`m using and apply it.

If you can notice a difference in shine between Z1+Z5 and ZFX+Z5, you are a better man than I. I can`t tell the diff between Z2 and Z5. Personally I think all that stuff is subjective and a blind test would fool 100% of the Zaino users out there.

Preachers Sheets
04-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

The biggest advantage of ZFX is instant cure time. If you do not want to wait hours for each coat to cure, use ZFX. You don`t have to worry about ambient temps or humidity which have an impact on cure times without ZFX.

3 coats with less than 1 ounce. I use 3 drops per ounce

The cure time is the only reason why I am using Zaino ........ and because I got it free but I couldn`t see myself becoming a "regular" if I go by Sal`s suggestion of waiting 1 hour at least, up to 24 hours before buffing Zaino off then waiting another 24 before another coat.

3 coats with one ounce? I think I lose one ounce but the applicator soaking it in nevermind one coat, not to even dream of 3. Are you misting your applicator with some of the Zaino QD? I can`t think of any other way to prevent the applicator from soaking in an ounce.

(That Zaino QD smells good, I had to tell myself I was an idiot, I actually thought of tasting it .......... smells so darn good but it`s a chemical :nono )

gagnu
04-18-2003, 11:00 PM
I definitely get 3 coats per 1 ounce, whether using a PC or a Zaino applicator. You just have to put the coats on thin, which is what is the recommended.

tkr128
04-18-2003, 11:24 PM
With Zaino, less is more. I can get about 6 coats with one ounce on a midsize car. The applicator will absorb a lot of the product, but there should be enough on the pad to apply to a few panels. You can always try it out on some of your glass to see if it`s still applying any product.

Preachers Sheets
04-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by tkr128

You can always try it out on some of your glass to see if it`s still applying any product.

Thats a neat trick.

If you guys can do it I should be able to figure it out, I can do it!!!

VetteToVair
04-19-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by bretfraz

I can`t tell the diff between Z2 and Z5. Personally I think all that stuff is subjective and a blind test would fool 100% of the Zaino users out there.

Well if it`s a blind test, of course they can`t see the difference;)

imported_BretFraz
04-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by stanger99

Well if it`s a blind test, of course they can`t see the difference;)

I :sign myself

I meant a blind product test. Or a mystery product test. Or, um, something like that......:doh