PDA

View Full Version : Getting "tight spots" with rotary

imported_Dude
04-18-2003, 03:30 PM
Okay, I`m about to take the plunge and get a rotary. My cars have several "tight spots" that are only a few inches wide. They are much smaller than the rotary pad.

For example, the top of my rear bumper is painted and has a few swirls. It`s about three inches wide and 36" long. How do I use a rotary on it? I am worried that the pad will fly off because the surface underneath it is too small.

Also, there is a roof rack on the top of my Jeep. There is a whole lot of plastic molding up there, and I am worried that a spinning rotary will pop it off.

Does anyone have any advice about these issues? Is it possible to use a rotary at an angle, at low speed etc. to get into these tight spots?

Preachers Sheets
04-18-2003, 03:44 PM
I have had the rotary for a while and even though it is a great tool I (yes ... me; not others) cannot use it in small areas like that. I only use it for hoods, trunks, roofs and doors. I keep putting holograms in the paint when I use it on curved panels.

I am barely letting the pad skim across the panel and it still happens, beats the heck out of me.

imported_Tony
04-18-2003, 04:16 PM
4" pads:http://properautocare.com/4inspotreppa.html

F 355
04-19-2003, 06:04 AM
Outside of smaller pads, I work areas as much as I can using the part of the pad between 10 and 2 o`clock...being careful with the leading edge. Work as much as I can and ultimately end up finishing the area by hand.

If using a PC with the reversable handle, I favor removing the handle entirely... allows me to work the PC sideways, upsidedown, etc. Especially useful for lower panels, air dams and the like....

Detailing NY
04-19-2003, 09:16 PM
I try and stay away from the edges and tight areas with the rotary for long periods of time, they are easy to damage.

You may be better off using the PC in a tight area.

It will take some time until you learn how to angle the rotary to get the direction you want.

JAGOWNER1981
04-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Dude, you actually deswirl the roof on ur jeep? damn, true autopian there!

captkirk2
04-20-2003, 10:50 AM
3M makes 3" grey foam finish pads. I used them for tight spaces, although I had to buy a box of ten @ $3.00 each.