PDA

View Full Version : Claying on vertical surfaces

imported_matthew
04-17-2003, 08:51 AM
I am going to clay my whole car for the first time this weekend but I am confused how I should do the sides of the car which are vertical. I have read that I should apply as little pressure as possbile - which is easy for the hood and the roof, but doesn`t seem as easy for the doors and fenders. Anyone have any tips?

Accumulator
04-17-2003, 09:39 AM
matthew- I`d say it`s more a matter of only applying as much pressure as is needed (as opposed to the least pressure possible). Sometimes I DO apply a bit of pressure to remove stubborn contaminants ( perhaps this is a :nono but I still do it).

The pressure required to keep the clay in contact with your vertical surfaces will be fine. Use plenty of lube, fold/knead your clay frequently, and you`ll be OK.

Preachers Sheets
04-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Matt, DavidB a while back posted an idea that I use now for clay.

Cut half a bar into peices equal to the number of panels on your car. Use one peice per panel and then throw it away.

I don`t like the normal folding method they post on the box. Your not getting rid of the grime you picked up, your just hiding it somewhere in the clay, you never know if you are not hiding it 100 %.

gnahc79
04-17-2003, 09:54 AM
heeeeyyyyy that`s a good idea :bounce. Gonna try that tomorrow on my car and a black teg that I`m detailing. I was never fully comfortable doing the folding thing anyways.