PDA

View Full Version : Re-paint scratches

smdetail
04-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Recently i carelessly scraped the side of the car against the wall in a parking lot. As a result, there are some scratches around the circumference of the rear wheel fender/arc. The scratches are quite bad, i think some at least went through the clear coat (can feel with the finger nail). A few are about 8 inches long.

I tried rubbing with Autoglym Paint Renovator (which is pretty strong stuff) but can`t remove the scratches. Some of them are quite bad as they already went through the color coat. Paint touch-up is going to be difficult as well since i got too many long stretches.

I consulted a paint shop and was told that they can`t just spray the circumference of the wheel arc where the scratches are. They have paint the whole area above the wheel arc, behing the C-pillar and half of the rear door. I was assured that the color will match at least 90%.

I have concerned about the color matching since the new car is only about 6 months. Do you advise i should go ahead with the partial paint or wait until later to re-spray the whole car?

Please help/advise what to do, as right now i don`t have the mood to detail anymore due to the ugly scratches. :(

Lowejackson
04-24-2003, 02:23 AM
I think it should not really be a problem getting a good colour match on a 6 month old car. If the car was 10 years old, that might be a problem. Try a couple of paint shops and see what they say. Respraying is a skilled job, have a look at the quality of work on the cars in their workshop.

Steven

smdetail
04-25-2003, 12:54 AM
Lowejackson, thanks for the advice.

I`ve decided to live with the scratches (not too obvious since they are at the edge of the fender) and re-spray the whole car later when i get more scratches. Thanks anyway.

Lowejackson
04-25-2003, 01:39 PM
If you get the Autopia e-book, there is a section on repainting. Great book - lots of information and advice. Or there should be a fair amount somewhere on the forum.