PDA

View Full Version : Review: Mothers: Reflections

Pages : [1] 2

bjwebster
04-16-2003, 02:12 PM
I was detailing my sisters car, but didn`t have time to polish then wax, and the surface needed a little cleaning, so I decided to try Mothers Reflections.

I washed the car with Meguiars Gold Class, then dried in preparation for the Mother Reflections. First thing I noticed about the reflections is the nice aftershave smell, quite different from the other detailing supplies I`m used too.

I applied the reflections with a MF applicator. It went on smooth, and flashed quickly, and removed incredibly easy, one of the easiest products as far as removal goes that I have used in a long time. The light cleaners worked well to remove some spots that were on the paint that plain washing wouldn`t remove.

The car came out looking great, pretty slick, and reflected nicely.

The downside was that it stopped beading after about 3 weeks. It just puddled water. As far as a one-step product to get a quick shine, Reflections worked well.

Pros: Easy Application and Removal. Available Locally. Smells Great.

Cons: It stopped beading after 3 weeks. The water now just sits on the panels and clings.

BradE
04-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Nice Review Bolton. :up I too would have hoped for better durability, but it sounds like it would make a good base product to be topped with a caranuba.

2wheelsx2
04-16-2003, 04:08 PM
If you were after something cheap and easy to apply, try #20. It beads well, and lasts around 2 months, depending on conditions.

imported_BretFraz
04-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Bolton,

Don`t mean to contradict you but I recalled a post by Forrest stating that Reflections will stop beading but is still protecting. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19046&highlight=reflections

bjwebster
04-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by bretfraz

Bolton,

Don`t mean to contradict you but I recalled a post by Forrest stating that Reflections will stop beading but is still protecting. Have a look at this thread:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19046&highlight=reflections

Awesome, Im glad to know that, Thats A Good Thing. Well there was more than just the beading that made me think it died, the lack of slickness, the puddling of water etc. But hopefully its still there.

Ill edit my post to reflect that.

bcwang
04-16-2003, 07:27 PM
bjwebster,

Was the finish still shiny even though it wasn`t slick?

bjwebster
04-16-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by bcwang

bjwebster,

Was the finish still shiny even though it wasn`t slick?

Well it still looks good, but the paint is in excellent condition so its hard to tell. Even before I applied the Reflections it was shiny. But i would say its still a bit shinier than to begin with. It was tested on a Brilliant Silver 2002 Mercedes C320.

forrest@mothers
04-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Since Reflections is a resin based product, which is soft to the touch, it will make a difference on the beading, though protection is still there.

A good quick detailer will restore the slickness to it.

Our new Hot Wheels hybrid product addresses the softness issue by adding some carnauba to the mix.

bjwebster
04-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by forrest

Since Reflections is a resin based product, which is soft to the touch, it will make a difference on the beading, though protection is still there.

A good quick detailer will restore the slickness to it.

Our new Hot Wheels hybrid product addresses the softness issue by adding some carnauba to the mix.

Thakns For The Info!

I Would Pick Up The New Hybrid Product, But I Cant Find Mothers Locally. :(

Scottwax
04-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I`ve used Reflections and it is a very good one step product and if I remember right, you can use it in the direct sun. It looks very good on light colors.

KSCobra46
04-18-2003, 10:57 AM
I`ve been using Reflections exclusively on my wifes car for at least a year and have never had a negative experience with it. Anytime someone asks my advice on a one-step product it`s what I recommend and they all love it. IMO it`s a great product. Now it`s time to try the new Hot Wheels stuff.

Scottwax
04-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by KSCobra46

Now it`s time to try the new Hot Wheels stuff.

:lol I`ve seen the ads in the car mags. I may have to try it also.

bjwebster
04-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Im gonna go to K-Mart tommorrow, maybe they have the hot wheels hybrid product. I hope so! I would like to try it!

bcwang
04-18-2003, 08:30 PM
I just got done waxing my car with Reflections. The removal is definitely the easiest I`ve ever seen before. It comes off in one pass, and doesn`t streak either. No buffing required at all. But I had some trouble with application. It seemed to dry too fast, as the left side of my applicator applied it, the right side of my applicator would remove it on my next stroke. It took a while to fill in the non-hazed spots without creating more non-hazed spots with the other parts of my applicator.

The directions say to apply with a dry applicator, but did others who have tried it use a damp one? I did notice if I got the applicator wet from the parts of the car that seem to store water and never seem to dry, I could apply it more easily and consistently, for a while. But it would go back to the original state pretty quickly. I had to use a lot of it to keep the applicator smooth and wet enough to apply without removing it at the same time.

Other than the application issue though, the smell is awesome, like musky aftershave or something, and the result is very nice. Removal is just unbelievably easy.

forrest@mothers
04-18-2003, 10:41 PM
bc - I`m guessing your paint was warm to the touch? What type of applicator were you using? I`ve had the best luck with the little round closed cell foam applicators.

I`d suggest you not dampen the applicator with water - you might try an instant detailer; it would be preferable to water.