PDA

View Full Version : detailing / protecting a race car: help with Alcantara seats??

dmoffitt
04-16-2003, 01:01 PM
I`m building a combo race/autox/street car - but I`m rather picky and want to keep it in show condition. My current bind is, I just installed 2 sparco millano seats (http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_street.asp?id=96) in Red Alcantara. It`s supposedly an artificial suede material, so I don`t want to just rush in and use any sort of leather/suede cleaning and protection solution - so does anyone have details / suggestiosn on what I should look for in cleaning and preserving this material? Unfortunately it picks up dirt like a Ferrari 360 picks up women...

Alcantara comes on some factory vehicles such as the steering wheel of the new E46 M3, optional seat-inserts on the 2002+ Audi S4, and so on... you`d think someone would have a product to address it.... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!! :xyxthumbs

F1Crazy
04-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Check Lexus dealership, they were selling a cleaner for their Alcantra seats in IS300.

dmoffitt
04-17-2003, 03:13 AM
thx ejant, i`ve browsed here for a bit, never had a question to ask, but feel i`ve learned a lot.

my car is basically a race-car chassis, with a built motor, but i still want her to look good :D i might not have the same budget (mainly, budget of TIME) as some here might for the care of their paint, but i`m starting to get hooked ont he detailing thing.

right now, i`m starting fresh with a newly prepared chassis, and will be completely building a custom interior, so i`m going to try and stick with clearcoated carbon-fiber (easy to wipe off) and alcantara on the door panels, dash, center console, etc, and getting all new carpets (as the chassis has nothing inside but a dash). i`ll post pics in a few weeks when she`s closer to done :)

kepani
08-17-2003, 02:14 AM
dmoffitt,

check this site out. i have an integra type-r and it too has this material for its front and rear seats.

http://www.alcantara.it/english/automotive/automotive.htm

i`ve heard from several people to simply vacuum it regularly and to use mild soap for cleaning. an example of mild soap would be "woolite". hope this helps. :xyxthumbs

kepani-who just went to buttonwillow and needs to do a car detail.

NozeBleedSpeed
08-17-2003, 09:11 AM
My Lightning has the same material on the seats.Ive used several different cleaners on mine over the last 2 years.Ive found that any cleaner you would use on cloth interior works the same on Alcantara.I scrub EF Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner or 303 or most any good cleaner into the nap with a stiff brush and dry with a terry towel.Let dry then smooth the nap in the same direction when youre done.This stuff is tougher than most people think it is.Sliding across the seat as you get in and out makes the nap flat,causing the material to look dirty.Brushing the nap back up helps.