PDA

View Full Version : need help bad - clear coated rims

Bass
04-16-2003, 12:42 PM
http://www.dazzo.freeservers.com/custom.html

hey guys

my 01 s2000`s rims look a lot worse than what`s shown in the picture.. had zaino on the rims and i started cleaning with mageryers "safe on all wheels" cleaner and a brush but i can seem to get the black off my rims..

clay has shown some gains but it will take me a month to do all four wheels.

Thoughts / suggestions

Thxs

Steve

imported_Tony
04-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Brake cleaner like Gumout. Spray your rag and wipe. This should not hurt the clear. do not spary the whole wheel and then wipe because this products dries too fast for that. You could spray a small section of the wheel and wipe quickly.

good luck

Bass
04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks I`ll give it a shot

shaf
04-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Bass

i started cleaning with mageryers "safe on all wheels" cleaner :LOLOL :rofl I`m SO SORRY!!! I have to nominate this for "Worst Interpretation of `Meguiar`s` of the Year"! :lol

I`M SO SORRY I CAN`T HELP IT!!! :bow :lol :o

PS: Good luck with your rims and post back if the brake cleaner doesn`t work. :o

Lowejackson
04-16-2003, 03:24 PM
If the brake cleaner does not work first time, try spray the cleaner onto a foam pad, this keeps the pad damp enough to clean a fair amount of the wheel. If this does not work, try using clay.

Steven

imported_Tony
04-16-2003, 03:28 PM
Opps! Do not use this product when your wheels are hot.

Bass
04-16-2003, 03:50 PM
great thanks again Guys - spent eight hours cleaning my baby yesterday and she looks great (side note CD-2 rocks) I’ll try the brake cleaner and foam pads over the weekend and report back

btw thanks for the nomination

4DSC :D :p

Bass
04-20-2003, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the tip

after 4 cans of brake cleaner and a foam pad my rims look 90% better.. gonna try clearcoat safe polishing compond next to see if i can get the rest off (with a dremmal)

Thanks again Guys

Best

Bass

shaf
04-20-2003, 01:11 PM
Good luck with the rest of your cleanup, glad the tip worked. :) Be very careful with the Dremel tool though - I think it can build up heat very quickly and cause damage. I`m not sure a Dremel should be used on paint, only bare metal. I guess it depends on how low the speed goes on it (I have an old single speed one). You may want to try by hand first.