PDA

View Full Version : how long do pc pads last?

Pages : [1] 2

raymond_ho2002
04-15-2003, 10:59 PM
I am trying to determine how many extra pads i should get..

How long do your yellow, white, and orange CMA PC pads last? How many sessions and total hours would you get in on each before you toss it?

Thanks.

Jngrbrdman
04-15-2003, 11:20 PM
I`ve had pads last for 2 years before. I polish more cars than average too. My yellow pad probably goes over 40 - 50 cars a year. My grey pad probably goes over at least twice that. My backing plates wear out before my pads do.

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 07:36 AM
I am the opposite, my pads wear out in half a summer. The backing plates are indestructible.

Jngrbrdman - could we confuse this guy anymore, two posts and both are night and day, DOH

shaf
04-16-2003, 12:44 PM
I`m wondering if it has anything to do with personal PC technique. Do you guys really stand on your PCs when you polish, or just apply light weight? Do you frequent the higher speed settings often, or use some even mix of high and low speed?

Let`s leave washing method out of the equation for now. ;) This could get interesting...

dmarcus48
04-16-2003, 01:09 PM
Since I`m almost ready to make the first use of my pc, what technique do you use? Hard or soft pressure? What speed?

:nixweiss

TIA

:bow :bow :bow

shaf
04-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Don`t ask me, I`ve hardly used mine yet! :p I just know how to buy stuff for it. :D

Check out Alboston`s PC article in the Articles forum and in my PC Accessory thread is a link to Geekysteve`s excellent PC use article over at Roadfly. Also maybe run a search for DavidB`s PC video. Hope that helps.

PS: Try not to hijack other people`s threads in the future. ;) We`ve all inadvertently done it now and again, but it`s still a :nono

imported_Aurora40
04-16-2003, 03:08 PM
One set (two polishing/one finishing) of mine are as old as my buffer. So probably about 3-5 years old. They are still fine.

How do your pads fail? The foam breaks up, or they get dirty and won`t come clean?

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 03:14 PM
I used to apply a good amount of pressure onto my PC. I probaly use my machine harder than you guys but it`s nice to know what everyday use as well as heavy use will result in.

Put it this way, I was using a PC on cars that I should of used a rotary and compound on...... :rolleyes:

2wheelsx2
04-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Same experience as Joe here. One of my yellow pads is disintegrating by shedding chunks of foam. It`s done. I have used heavy cut cleaner, SMR, and DACP with it, on about 15 cars. 5 of those were heavily oxidized, non-clearcoated cars. I really lean on my PC and only using speed 6.

If it`s something easy, I just do it by hand.

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 2wheelsx2

I really lean on my PC and only using speed 6.

Thats why I bought the DeWalt.

2wheelsx2
04-16-2003, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I think I`ll be moving on to a rotary soon too. The PC is great for moderately well taken care of cars, but for neglected cars, it`s a lot of work.

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 04:19 PM
PC + speed of 6 + yellow pad + 3M Fine Cut rubbing compound.

Is now even as strong as

DeWalt + 1,300 rpm + foam finishing pad + Meguiars Swirl Remover.

dmarcus48
04-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Sorry about that!

:o :o

imported_2wheelsx2
04-17-2003, 09:05 PM
i have ruined 2 white pads and 1 yellow in less then 1 year i think it was because of my washing method. i was using about 1/2 a cup of wisk or tide and about 2 gallons of very hot water and allowed the pads to soak for 2 days in that mixture and then 1 day in clear water. my pads seemed to firshen loose materilal and then the velcro pad seem to begin to separeate

imported_2wheelsx2
04-17-2003, 09:20 PM
hey what does every one store there pads in? i use ziplocks and a card board box any nicer neater sugestions