PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh. That great, just waxed feeling......

imported_doug
04-15-2003, 09:32 PM
My Porsche was getting pretty ratty, after winter, running at the track, my being busy, and generally being distracted by other stuff. I got lazy with my upkeep regimen, and it showed - lots of swirls and other malaise. Recently I spent a good bit of time coaxing it back into shape - a lot of rubbing, polishing, buffing, etc.

What you see here was brought back with the following

Prep:

1. Meguiar`s Gold Class wash

2. Autosol Clay bar (soapy water for lube)

3. 3M Adhesive, Tar and Wax remover

Abrasives: (most aggressive to least):

4) Meguiar`s Scratch-X

5) 3M Finesse-IT II

6) Meguiar`s BSP Dual Action Cleaner Polish

7) Meguiar`s #9 Swirl Remover

8) Meguiar`s BSP Hand Polish

Protection:

9) Meguiar`s Gold Class Wax

10) Pinnacle Souveran Paste topper

11) Meguiar`s #40 Rubber/Vinyl Treatment

Look - you can see me in the wrong side of the mirror!

http://www.heumann.com/images/juswaxed_side.jpg

http://www.heumann.com/images/rose_on_spoiler_640.jpg

http://www.heumann.com/images/rose_on_hood_500.jpg

shaf
04-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Wow, more great looking pics from carguy. :) It looks fantastic! :xyxthumbs

imported_Solution Finish
04-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Are you freakin` kidding me? That looks NIIIIICCEE. The rose is a nice touch as well....kinda looks like a postcard. :xyxthumbs

johnson
04-15-2003, 09:41 PM
Are you using #40 for exterior trim? Does it run off after it rains?

offcenter
04-15-2003, 09:53 PM
freakin` Amazing....:shocked :xyxthumbs

imported_Intermezzo
04-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Carguy,

It`s been a while since you`ve posted pics. I didn`t think your car could look better from a while ago, but I was wrong! Very impressive!!

SergC
04-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Greg !

You are the Master :bow

Serg

tkr128
04-15-2003, 10:10 PM
That`s incredible! I like the rose, it adds a nice touch. :xyxthumbs

Mr. Clean
04-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ronvonhagen

The rose is a nice touch as well....kinda looks like a postcard. :xyxthumbs

I concur, it really adds additional interest, more than just a picture of a shiny car, but also provides a good representation of the reflective nature of the finish. Kudos

imported_doug
04-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Thanks, everyone -

Photography is another hobby - the rose was a spur of the moment idea to add a little interest.

As for the meguiar`s #40 - nothing special about it. It works well, adds UV protection, cleans reasonably, hides wax residue, and oils up the rubber or vinyl making it look blacker - the same as all the rest. And, also like all the rest, it will disappear after a few washes and some time. I wish there was a great product to keep rubber looking nice, but I`ve tried a bunch (incl. 303 aerospace protectant, which I use on interior vinyl) - and NONE of them last well.

NONE of the "combo" cleaner/protectant products really remove wax residue, either. The Meguiar`s rep swore that their "Trim Detailer" product would remove wax residue. Well - it may hide it longer than most - but I see no evidence of removal.

The best product for actual removal is the 3M stuff I mentioned above. It is strictly a solvent. Because it has NO oils and evaporates quickly, you can TELL almost immediately if you truly got rid of the residue, or merely hid it for a short time. But it takes time to soften the vinyl/rubber and loosen the wax, then a lot of agitation/rubbing to work. So it is not a "wipe on, wipe off" product by any stretch.

I`ve even tried Prepsol and PPG`s "Acryli-Clean DX 330" wax and grease remover - these are what body shops use to remove wax before painting. Well - they may remove it from painted surfaces, but they don`t work any better (and probably not as well) removing it from black plastic/vinyl/rubber.

AMP01
04-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Carguy,

Your Porsche looks awsome! :bow :bow :bow

The finish, the staging and the pics all are great! I just love Souveran on black.

I just aquired some Mequiars Hand Polish from Mike Phillips at BimmerFest. How do you like HP? What is your method of application and removal of HP?

Once again, you ride looks S W E E T ! ! !

Cheers,

My Black 7 Series (http://www.cardomain.com/id/amp99)

imported_doug
04-16-2003, 12:35 AM
I triued the hand polish by hand with foam pad, and also with a "finishing"pad on the orbital, speed 5. Both worked fine - the latter was faster, better at even application, and therefore easier to buff out.

billrouleau
04-16-2003, 01:37 AM
ok first off, your car looks absolutely beautiful!

second, that middle picture looks like it came straight out of a brochure! very NICE!

Vegas1
04-16-2003, 02:04 AM
Looks great!:up