PDA

View Full Version : Pad issues

airjames
04-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Hey all, I`m in the process of getting more stuff for my detailing business. I know everything I want to get and I feel confident about it:xyxthumbs I`m debating about 1 thing that is blocking me from my decision. What pads should I get when I order my PC?????? I`m going to order everything at once. I`m debating between either Meguiars 6.5" pads or CMA`s Advanced 7.5" pads. Both seem very good pads to use. Is there any significant difference between the 2 I should worry about????? So what shall it be Autopians???? CMA Advanced or Meguiars 6.5"?????? Tks everyone,,,,,91

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2003, 03:58 PM
My horrible dealings with the CMA pads (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10354&highlight=pad)

And now for my reveiw of the advanced pads (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21008)

The smaller CMA pads will not hold up to anything more than a weekend detail. If you plan to detail one day a week, and even that, if the car is bad off your going to spend alot of time on the car with those tiny pads.

The advanced pads are safer, retain just about no heat, are larger for more detailing surface and will last so much longer.

Read the above links and I`m sure you`ll go with the advanced pads, anything else if you ask me is a waste of time. Espically if your thinking about detailing for money, the CMA small pads would be a waste of time and money.

imported_Smoker
04-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Ive done 10+ vehicles using the megs pads and theyre still perfectly usable.

I dont think I`ve ever compunded for more than an hour at a go with the same pad tho.

If its taking you 4+ hours to SMR a vehicle i would rethink your procedures....

My current inventory is only 3 purples, 2 yellows and a white.

Its MFs I get thru at a freaky rate!

Preachers Sheets
04-15-2003, 04:33 PM
SMR was all I had at the time. I have also toasted pads by compounding. The pads are too small and force you to spend more time detailing one panel which creates more heat.

The small CMA pads are junk for serious detailing, no way of beating around the bush.

airjames
04-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Tks Joed for the reviews, really helps out with someone with experience with these. I"m suprised you didn`t fry the clearcoat right off the car:eek: Still need some more opinions and thoughts, and other reviews to make my decision. Meantime I will search for some reviews and other threads regarding this. Tks all,,,,,91

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 07:40 AM
I have tried to remove massive amount of swirls with a semi mild product, I bet that had to do with some of the pads dying so soon.

You can be safe and polish the area until the cows come home or you can use a stronger product and polish the panel once or twice.

I think the advanced pads are somewhat new so most people have the smaller pads. If you want, buy your stock of small pads and just once advanced and you`ll see what I mean. You`ll try make the advanced pad last all day :p

Fry the clear coat? I`m not scared about that, I feel I have a pretty good idea of the limitations of clear coat.

NattyBumppo
04-16-2003, 08:04 AM
I`ve been using the plain old 6.5" Meguiars pads for some time now and they hold up incredibly well. In fact, I haven`t had to retire a single pad yet although a couple of them look like the velcro backing isn`t long for this world so I may have to ditch one or two. Still, these pads have sene a fair amount of use over the last year so I can`t complain about them one bit. For the $$, the Meg`s 3-pack of pads is tough to beat.

I did like the CMA (Lake Country) 7.5" VC pads very much. Nice velcro backing, nice wrap-around on the tools backing plate and the convex pad surface helps hold back splatter. As I retire the Megs Pads I`ll probably replace them with the 7.5" VC pads.

airjames
04-16-2003, 02:36 PM
ok so If I choose to go with CMA`s advanced pads, I will need the 6" counterweight right????? 91

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 03:06 PM
I use the weight that came with the PC and it works fine. I don`t understand all of the hype behind the other weight.

The machine works fine as it is, no need to spend more $$$. :o

airjames
04-16-2003, 05:44 PM
ooooooookay:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: I`ve always learned that you should use diff counterweights for diff size pads. Is the diff counterweight thing a bunch of crap or what, now I"m lost:confused: :confused:

airjames
04-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Screw it, who cares. I"ll just use with what comes with it and if it starts messin up on me, then I know what the problem is. Tks all,,,,,91

Preachers Sheets
04-16-2003, 06:26 PM
F-150:

I have used the factory weight and the machine is very effective for what it is designed for.

socaltiger
04-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Geeky Steve wrote up some good things about using a pc and what pad he prefers and why, but don`t recall him saying anything about the Advanced 7.5 CMA pads.Geeky Steve, do you prefer the advanced pads over the regular CMA Country Lake pads and what size back plate do you prefer for either pads?Thanks!

imported_Smoker
04-17-2003, 04:15 PM
I dont swap out the counterweight when I swap between my standard 6.5" and oversized 7.5" foam pads.

I cant tell the difference in vibration at all......

One thing worth noting is theres a problem with the Megs backing pads.

Basically theyre arse and dont stick very well.

A solution IS in the pipeline, I have been assured!