PDA

View Full Version : Mother`s new Wax/Sealant

Pages : [1] 2

One Arm Bandit
04-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Has anyone tried or seen this new product from Mother`s ??? Saw it at Pep Boys the other day and it looked interesting. Matter of fact it comes packaged with a limited edition Hot Wheels car. The product itself is labeled as a carnuba wax/polymer sealant sounding similiar to a few others that have been discussed here recently. Is this a new trend in auto care products? Maybe Forrest could shed some light on this product??? I would like to hear some feedback if anyone has tried this. Thanks.:cool:

forrest@mothers
04-15-2003, 10:12 AM
It`s a hybrid product - part synthetic (ease of removal) and part carnauba (hard, slick finish, to cure the complaints that Reflections doesn`t feel slick after use).

From the playing that I`ve done, it`s a pretty good product - not perfect, but for the average to slightly anal consumer, a good choice.

FWIW, the Hot Wheels are limited to 25K or each car, and the graphics are designed by Chip Foose. The cars are selling on e-bay for more than the entire package (with wax) is at retail.

Go figure.

I think you`ll continue to see these types of products as we get closer to the low VOC regulations being imposed by CARB - 2004/2005.

Carnauba by itself won`t meet the limits, and the full synthetics require actually following directions closely (tough for the average consumer to do), so the hybrids are a good compromise.

imported_Smoker
04-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Chip Foose = Top Dude.

Used to design for Boyd Coddington .....

I think I`ll have to stop by Pep Boys today :p

One Arm Bandit
04-15-2003, 11:09 AM
Forrest,

Thanks for the quick reply. Any idea as to how long one application will last? Can it be layered? Appreciate the input and I`ll have to go back to Pep Boys and buy a bottle and give it a try. Sounds like the Hot Wheel included with product is worth the purchase alone. Clever marketing to say the least!!! Thanks

forrest@mothers
04-15-2003, 11:24 AM
mets - durability is good, but it`s no miracle once a year product. Since carnauba makes up a portion of it, it`s limited like any other product would be.

The product is a one step (with cleaner), so it can`t be layered. But, you can apply it as often as you like so I can afford my son`s soccer shoes.

bcwang
04-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by forrest

Carnauba by itself won`t meet the limits, and the full synthetics require actually following directions closely (tough for the average consumer to do), so the hybrids are a good compromise.

By this, do you mean full synthetics require the directions to be closely followed in order to meet the limits on volatile emissions? Or do you mean the directions have to be followed closely to properly apply the product?

By the way, Kragen`s has the hotwheels wax on sale at the moment for $9.99. I know pepboys has it for $12.99, at least these are the prices in my area. (northern CA) But I will admit, it`s easier to get at Pepboys, they seem to have a lot more of them. I went to a couple of kragens lately, and a few only had 1 or 2 bottles left. And the packaging was screwed up on many. (some had the hotwheels cars swapped out with regular ones too)

forrest@mothers
04-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Generally speaking, full synthetics (Zaino, for instance) require the directions to be followed to the letter, and proper prepwork done, to maximize its finish (just ask geekysteve about his first attempt with the product). Reflections, being a first generation resin based product, is very forgiving for those who can`t (or won`t) read directions.

Since our products appeal to a broader base of customers, we have to make them so folks can use them, marginally following instruction, and get acceptable results. We call this making them "stupid proof".

This dumbing down of products doesn`t make them bad, or good, it`s just a sad fact of life when dealing with retailers these days.

I`ve been testing some great synthetics lately, but until we can make them stupid proof, we won`t be selling them.

Patrick
04-15-2003, 02:18 PM
You know Forrest, for some of us out here who arent diputs stoidi, weve been waiting quite some time for a nice synthetic from Mothers ! Prestone did it, cmon, bring it on forrest !!

How about a limited release........?

bcwang
04-15-2003, 04:04 PM
Sorry, I must have been confused before. So what I think you meant was, Mothers will be moving towards products like HotWheels and Reflections because both meet the low VOC regulations while still being as easy or easier to use than the carnauba products, which don`t meet the low VOC regulations.

Is Reflections considered a hybrid product too, I thought it was a full synthetic?

shaf
04-15-2003, 04:27 PM
I think Forrest is talking about non-cleaner synthetic products which is why he used Zaino as an example, but I could be wrong. I imagine the Prestone is also a "cleaner wax" type deal like Reflections.

The "stupid proofing" thing is totally understandable, and it`s the reason why 3-step systems are about as complex as you`ll find on retail shelves.

forrest@mothers
04-15-2003, 04:38 PM
bc - manufacturers (most, not just us) are moving towards synthetics because of the VOC regulations.

A by-product is their ease of use compared to carnauba.

Reflections is not a hybrid - it`s a first generation synthetic that has light cleaners in it.

I used Zaino as an example because it requires the instructions to be followed carefully to obtain the best results. That`s not a slam of their product (I consider Sal a friend), it just says you need to follow the instructions if you want good results. With a niche product, that`s acceptable and understandable. However, we sell to a varied user base of the populace that doesn`t always follow instructions. So, we have to make them stupid-proof.

bcwang
04-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by forrest

So I guess by this statement you just meant full synthetics without cleaners. A full synthetic with cleaners, like Reflections, is easy to use, even easier than Carnauba cleaner waxes, correct?

I`m guessing the paste carnauba`s don`t have this problem with meeting low VOC, is it the solvents used to make the carnauba workable in a liquid form that cause too much chemical emissions? Otherwise, it sounds like by 2004 there won`t be any more real carnauba waxes to sell, except the black market.

forrest@mothers
04-15-2003, 05:31 PM
I meant what I typed - carnauba based products will have a tough time meeting the VOC limits. Synthetic products can meet the regulations easier, which is why they are becoming more popular at the retail level. Whether a synthetic has cleaners in it or not is irrelevant.

Generally speaking, synthetics are easier to use than carnauba based products when it comes to removal (assuming directions are followed).

Paste waxes are actually higher in VOC`s than liquids are. You`ll be seeing synthetic pastes as well - most likely presoftened pastes.

schoi
04-15-2003, 05:37 PM
That worries me.

I love my P21S.

bcwang
04-15-2003, 06:11 PM
I guess it`s time to jump on the synthetic bandwagon. Or it`s time to buy a lifetime supply of your favorite carnauba!